how do I use an iPhone 4 without data on at&t

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ineel, Aug 13, 2012.

1. ineel macrumors regular

Hi I currently have an iPhone 4. Once the new iPhone comes out, I want to ship my iPhone 4 to my parents. They don't want to pay for data nor do they need it. I heard at&t has the ability to detect whether or not you are using a smart phone or a feature phone and they will automatically sign you up for a data plan when you switch out your SIM card. My iPhone 4 is currently unlocked via at&t's official unlock. I don't want to jailbreak the phone, so is there any way I can get the phone working on my parents account without worrying at&t will add a data plan to them. I read that I have to change the APN settings, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that. Maybe a link to a webpage would be helpful? Also can I revert the APN settings to their original settings?

Thanks for all your help!

2. bigalow macrumors member

wouldn't that cause a problem since the iphone downloads voicemails instead of calling in and listening to messages?

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

Only way to use iPhone 4 for ur parents without data is to not put sim card in. Other than that AT&T will automatically data plan regardless if it's locked or unlocked. Regardless if iphone was imported internationally.

No hack will prevent it. No exceptions.

U should probably consider data sharing plans with AT&T. Probably doesn't cost much more since ur parents won't be using much data and u get to use the data.

4. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

My parents are using the $50 prepaid unlimited AT&T plans (No data) on their iPhone 4's that are locked to AT&T.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You can only ditch data if you have the original iphone or are using pre-paid. No exceptions. No hacks.

6. ineel thread starter macrumors regular

Cool

I just checked out AT&Ts pre paid plans. Apparently it's $25/mo for 250 talk and untd text. Well that'll save my parents some money. Good thing I checked. I wonder if tmobile is any better in pricing since the phone is unlocked

7. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Here's what I did with my old 3GS. Shut off all cell data on the phone and gave it to my son to replace his old flip phone. It's been a year now and no detection from ATT.

I think if you leave cell data ON, they go after you immediately. If you're not pulling any cell data, they seem to let it slide more often.

Anyway, worth a shot. I personally think they should have no right to tack a data plan on just because you're using an iPhone (when you aren't using any cell data). Yeah, I know it's in the contract, but screw that. It's draconian and I won't lose a minute's sleep over it.

8. bushido Suspended

bushido

how can they add a data plan to your iPhone without your approval, is that even legal? crazy american providers

9. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Wow didn't know AT&T forces its customers to have data when they use smartphones, quite unreasonable in a sense. Anyone ask them why they are doing this? Profits?

Anyway here in Singapore, I'm using my 3GS on a prepaid card plan without data & have been using it for some time now. At least the telcos here don't force us to pay unnecessary $$ like they do in the states.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think all of the big carriers (att/verizon/sprint/t-mobile) require you to have a data plan with a smart phone. Yes, it would be for profits

11. bstpierre macrumors 6502

Here is the sinister part. They are doing it with your approval, as agreed to in the terms of service.