How do i use waranty on a jailbroken iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pnt101, May 22, 2010.

1. pnt101 macrumors member

pnt101

If something would go wrong with my iphone 3g(in apple warranty) like lets say the headphone jack stops working. How would i go into the apple store and exchange it?

Its jailbroken and unlocked

i know for ipod touches you just restore and set up from new then thats it

how bought for iphones? if i restore it'd be stuck at the insert sim screen. Do i just bring in the phone in that state?

2. ZenoVT macrumors regular

restore to factory settings and then bring it in.

3. pnt101 thread starter macrumors member

pnt101

i do that after i run redsn0w? wouldnt that make it back to insert sim screen?

4. army91c macrumors 6502a

You don't need to do anything after restoring it to factory settings. Don't even sync the phone with iTunes. Simply restore and take it in and you're done.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

it will restore the firmware back to the day you got it so yes you will have to reactivate it. restore as new add contacts apps. that is the only way to bring it back. since Apple frowns on JBing. ;) DFU mode and go from there.

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

has anyone confirmed that a DFU restore makes the jailbreak undetectable to apples scan software?

also does dust under the screen warrant a replacement?

7. pnt101 thread starter macrumors member

pnt101

so let me get this straight, i restore to 3.1.3 then take it in on the insert sim screen?

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

i would activate it in itunes and sync contacts and stuff even use it unjailbroken for a few days before bringing it in. apple tell when you last restored it.

9. pnt101 thread starter macrumors member

pnt101

10. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

It will automatically activate when you sync with iTunes after the restore..as long as u have the sim card in it.

Just do w factory restore..then when it restarts..iTunes will recognize it and automatically activate it.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

As a matter of fact, it doesn't. You also need to perform a wipe of the user data as JBing also places files in the user accessible storage.

12. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

how would I do that? Im thinking of bringing mine in next week for 1. no service anywhere. and 2. dust under screen.

13. rkswat macrumors regular

Guys..... ok every one calm down and breath.....

If you want to take you iPhone in for service all you need to do is follow these very simple instructions.

1. Turn on computer
    2. click on iTunes icon OR if your iTunes comes on automatically when the iPhone is plugged into comp, plug in your phone.
    3. click on the restore button.
    4. let the computer restore your phone to apple approved firmware.
    5. iTunes will restore your phone then activate it.
    6. Unplug your phone from comp and drive to Apple store and take care of your business

There is no need to put in dfu mode, restore from back up or anything else. It's really not that hard and I can't understand all the questions related to restoring your phone. It's a VERY simple process. Good luck.

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

See step 7.

You are missing an important step. If you want to truly get rid of all files, you MUST run "Erase All Content and Settings". The reason for this is that some files for the JB are stored in the user storage. And a Restore does not wipe that area of storage.

The way to prove this, try running "Erase All Content and Settings" on a JB iPhone. You'll quickly get yourself stuck in restore mode due to deleting some of the files it looks for during the boot-up.

But agreed, just add this step and the whole thing is really no big deal. No need for DFU.

Edit: Keep in mind, you most likely will not be able to unlock the phone they replace it with at this time. And if you follow the above instructions, the restore process will upgrade you to a version that will not be unlockable at this time as well.

15. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

i think theres one thing being missed with the pnt101's responses and he keeps asking about activation and insert sim card screen..... pnt101 do you even have an official sim to activate in iTunes?

16. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

just remember if you going to exchange it is no unlock for new bootrom, so if you need the unlock you will be SOL.

17. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

never was a bootrom unlock for the 3g/3gs only bb.

18. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

sorry i dont know what you saying, is no unlock for firmware 3.1.3 (05.12.01. out of the box)and thats problably what he gets when they replace his iphone 3g.
    baseband 04.26.08 or 5.11.07 is unlockable.

edit, goobot yea you right is the baseband we talking about.

19. Untaken macrumors member

A restore wipes the device completely and puts it back to a factory state. You do NOT need to "Erase All Content and Settings" if you do a proper restore and set your device up as new. Just make sure you don't restore from a backup as that can put certain jailbreak-only things back such as custom carrier banners.

20. pnt101 thread starter macrumors member

pnt101

um no i have a tmobile sim, thats the problem, how the hell do i get pass the activation screen?

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

No, it wipes the pointers to the files in the user storage, but the files are still there and can be seen. It's been a while, but I recall someone doing a restore and a Genius still catching the fact that they had jailbroken.

22. Untaken macrumors member

A restore basically does a "quick format" on all partitions before reloading the OS. Manually selecting the "Erase All Content and Settings" option does a complete wipe on the User partition only, but it physically zeros out the flash memory. I can see this being useful for privacy reasons but I don't see how Apple's software could detect leftover files once a format (even a quick one) has been done. It's likely the person you're talking about either did an upgrade (instead of a restore) or simply restored from a jailbroken backup which put certain custom settings back that wouldn't exist on a non-jailbroken device.

Speaking from personal experience, I have gotten many (and I mean a LOT) of iPhone replacements at several different Apple stores and have always simply restored before taking it in (and setting it up as a new phone of course). Not once have I been caught and/or questioned about having a previously jailbroken device.

23. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I dont think the erase all content works cause after doing that I still have 199mb of "other" content after a fresh restore.

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

It works. There's an explanation for the "other", but I forget what it is.

25. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Might be out of luck. When I had my original first gen iPhone, it was unlocked/jailbroken, I restored and I had no original AT&T sim (used TMOBILE), and they wouldn't give me a replacement (the ringer switch was broken) unless I had an at&t sim and it was activated.. she said once I had it activated / sim installed, she could just grab one from the back and swap it.