how do I verify that a brand new MBA is free of defects?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by arrowtree, Nov 30, 2013.

1. arrowtree macrumors member

how do I verify that a brand new MBA is free of defects?
    (hardware, software, or otherwise)

This is my first Macbook. The last time I touched a computer
    made by Apple was 30 years ago. Apple II back 1983(?)
    and it's stilling in my basement. :) The only Apple product
    that I current own is the iPad 2.

2. m1key macrumors member

You don't have to do this. Apple has a very consistent manufacturing process, the make good quality products. Just use it normally and if you find something wrong with it within the first year they will take care of it for you no problem.

3. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

i wouldn't worry about any defects....

you have the warranty for a year and they are quite good with dealing with problems. after that you can/should buy the extended for another 2 years and you are good to go :D

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Unless you gave up technology since the Apple ][, u should be able to figure things out on your own.

5. arrowtree thread starter macrumors member

well... I served a 30-year sentence in the Windows world... so I figure I deserve a reward, no? :)

6. iLuvMyMacToo macrumors regular

Um the fact that it's brand new :confused:

7. SusanK macrumors 68000

Apple makes quality products. On occasion one may have an issue. In my experience the company stands behind the products and make things right.

Use your new Mac and enjoy it.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sounds like ur buying a piece of jewelry and ur looking for clarity and and no blemish.

9. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

There are 2 issues that effect the 2013 mac air. The first is wifi. People have reported long ping times and generally slow connections with periodic connection loss with some routers. There is all kinds of suggestions how to fix them but according to the support forum at apple there is no fix right now that works. (other then buying apples router).

the second issue is the screen goes black periodically to go to sleep even when actively working. it happens in 2 stages and if you try and wake the computer up before it fully goes to sleep the macbook air will lock up needing to hold the power button to hard restart. various suggestions on apples official forum have been to adjust the sleep settings. However this does not seem to help.

both these issues have like 20 pages each and several thousand posts at apples official forum. There is no known fix for either of them and how severe it is seems to be random. I dont have these issue at all while some on the forum drop their internet connection every 10 minutes.

10. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I find it's best to send new air's to myself for a good inspection :D

11. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

you use it. if there are problems you will know. if there aren't any, same thing.

If you have problems, have them fix or exchange it.
    pretty simple.

12. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I'm just going to echo what's already been said. If you're going to purchase a new device, you will most likely have an excellent end user experience. If issues to arise, Apple will stand behind the device.

I'd consider purchasing Apple Care as well, if any components do fail after the 1 year warranty period has expired.

13. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Happily, I have never seen either of these problems on my 2013 MBA. :)

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Couple things you can do to check things out.

Do a command-r boot to recovery then start Disk Utility and do a verify disk on the drive to check for errors. If there are disk errors run repair disk.

Also you can run the Apple Hardware Test to check for bad RAM and other defects.

Take a close look at your screen to check for uniformity and dead pixels.

Plug something into each USB port and test it out. Maybe a thumb drive and copy some files back and forth.

Run software update to make sure you have the latest updates.

15. PDFierro macrumors 68040

This forum has so many people worried. You don't need to check. If you notice something on your own, then that's where it's a problem.

16. TheEnthusiast macrumors regular

I couldn't agree anymore. I honestly believe most people aren't aware of issues before coming here and once they see the complaints, they believe they may have the same issues with their computers. If you don't see a problem, good; use the computer happily. If you do notice a problem, take it to Apple and get it fixed. There shouldn't be any looking for issues, like many of the people here do.

17. mpantone macrumors 6502

Tell me about it.

LOL, how do I verify that a brand new girlfriend is free of defects?

New car? Toaster oven? Electric toothbrush? Pencil eraser?

:D

18. arrowtree thread starter macrumors member

I don't think God has a return/exchange policy on new girlfriends.

(and by "God" I don't mean Mr. Steve Jobs)

19. mpantone macrumors 6502

It's called the curb.

God doesn't get involved.

:D

20. arrowtree thread starter macrumors member

Or just send them to the Maury or Springer show?

They have many fine examples of "defective" girlfriends. :(

21. mpantone macrumors 6502

I don't watch those shows, however all parties involved sign waivers to appear on those types of television shows.

That said, it appears that most couples that break up don't do it in the presence of television cameras.

Anyhow, enjoy your Mac.