How do iPhone unlocks work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adcx64, Oct 28, 2012.

1. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

I've read that my Verizon iPhone comes pre unlocked and can use any sim, is this true? What are the eBay unlocks for then?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Not all phones come unlocked, the ebay unlocks are adding your phone to Apple's database of unlocked phones which if your verizon one is already unlocked then it is already in that database. The ebay unlocks are only useful for people who can't get it unlocked through their carrier.

3. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

How can I tell if my phone is indeed unlocked? And how do these eBay sellers have access to Apples database?

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Try a SIM from a different carrier in it. If it works, your phone is unlocked!

They pay staff that work at carriers placed all over the world to submit the unlocks "on the side".

5. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

For other GSM carriers that aren't as easy to get an unlock for, such as AT&T.

All Verizon iPhone 5s come unlocked, whether purchased on contract or not. Any other GSM carrier's SIM card will work and get service in them. AT&T's iPhone 5s, however, will only be unlocked if you purchase them no commitment. Otherwise, an eBay unlock is the way to go.