How do iPhones sold at the Apple Store work (unlocked until SIM inserted?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by khaltire, Sep 24, 2012.

1. khaltire macrumors newbie

Does anyone know the answer to this?

I bought a couple Iphone 5s for myself, and my brother brought a couple but hes decided to sell them and wait to get the white instead.

In the mean time, he wants to sell the 2 32gb black ones he bought. The lady at the apple store allowed us to take the phones home sealed and not opened. When I asked if they give me different phones depending on carrier, she said no. That means that they just take them from the back, insert the SIM and THEN it becomes locked, which I have heard before.

BUT she didnt end up opening it so at this point can the iphones accept ANY sim worldwide, at which point it will then become locked? Or is it locked to a carrier some how by the IMEI, when I bought the phones (paid outright)

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

Check ur receipt. If it says device only it will be unlocked (att model).

If receipt says u agreed to wireless contract etc than its locked. I purchased att phone with new line at apple. Box was sealed. Phone is locked to carrier. Even nano sim as already activated. I only found this out cause I took sim out and tried to activate sim to my main line but rep said sim was already activated to my new phone number.

3. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

4. khaltire thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought them in Vancouver BC Canada. Heard yhis year (unlike the past) that they are locked to a carrier even if bought outright (unless bought online)

5. lamenramen macrumors regular

Mine says No wireless service activation during iPhone sale. I paid full price. I would HOPE that unlocked status is conferred by the price you paid. If full, then it's unlocked period. As opposed to wording on a receipt.

6. khaltire thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone.confirm? I know there are some experts on here! I have 2 iPhones I paid outright for from the apple store.that are sealed with no sim ever inserted.