How do people find it worth paying the high monthly price for an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applefan289, Mar 19, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I'm an Apple guy, but not even I find it practical to pay that high a price per month. I would rather have an iPod Touch with another phone (like a Samsung phone) with a lower monthly price from a company like T-Mobile.

So, what makes it worth paying the high monthly price for an iPhone? I don't know (but obviously millions of people seem to know).

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't want to carry an iPod Touch and a phone
    I like the iOS user experience
    I prefer having a smartphone that integrates all I do

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Smartphone plans in general cost more because of data. I've been able to do so much more now because of my iPhone.

• Stream TWiT while driving
    • Stream podcasts I hadn't downloaded before leaving home
    • Check Facebook and Twitter at work while on breaks
    • Read my RSS feeds while out or at work (using the excellent Reeder app)
    • Look up store numbers, addresses, info while driving around instead of going home then back out (saves gas and has happened enough times that having a data plan has been worth it)
    • GPS (no need to buy a stand alone unit)

And as MacDawg said, a slick all-in-one package is perfect.

4. aneftp macrumors 68040

It's not just the iPhone monthly cost. People with Blackberries, Android phones, Windows 7 phones also pay the same each month along with the iphone.

If there's one group of smartphone phone users who should be pissed, it's the blackberry users because in the 5 years of blackberry use, I've never used more than 50MB of data each month.

At least ATT gives people who use "limited" data and have access to wifi the option of "downgrading" to the 200 MB $15/month data while Verizon doesn't even give you that choice (Verizon had the same choice as ATT for a few months but than ditched it).

5. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

I have an iPad as my iDevice (not an iPod Touch). Some people though have an iPad and an iPhone...and sometimes an iPod Touch altogether. :confused:

6. iBryton macrumors regular

Well if you get into a family plan, it's totally worth it.

7. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

My iPhone bill is $80/month, I have a FAN discount. It would be at least $25-35/month for a landline, which I do not have. To me, it is worth the extra $50/month to have all of the capabilities of the iPhone with me, in my pocket, at all times. I have a great music collection to listen to anywhere I want, apps, text msgs, and internet with me, everywhere I go. I have considered, however, getting rid of the $20/month texting charge and just using a free texting app. $20/month for text, is a bit steep.

8. err404 macrumors 68020

Any phone that I find worth using on the two top cell networks will cost me about the same. T-Mobile service isn't that great around me, so it's not a viable option.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Your original post said you would rather have an iPod Touch and a phone

I have a MBP, an iPad and an iPhone 4
    My iPad is 3G and both my iPad and iPhone have unlimited data

My iPad and my iPhone overlap in some areas, but have their own unique uses as well

10. Geffen macrumors 6502

I find it worth the cost each month to have an iphone its really no different than any other smartphone plan, I used to have a Droid on Verizon and i switched to an iphone 4 and im paying the same each month for the iphone 4 plan. The only way you wouldnt have the additional cost is not having a smartphone and just owning a regular cell phone with no data plan cost each month.

11. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Depends how you use your devices.

Me: Phone is important, but so is 24/7 access to data. iPhone or not, if you need data your bill would be the same.

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

A "feature phone" + iPod touch still doesn't bring all of the same functionality that an iPhone does. Having data nearly everywhere you go is great, and you don't get that without a smartphone.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Pointless to just ask about the monthly cost of the iPhone when there are dozens of other phones with the exact same fees.

14. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

If I were to get an iPhone, I would only pay the monthly price for the voice plan, I would not buy a data plan - I would rely on Wi-fi for that.

I kind of regret buying my 3G iPad, as I've never used the 3G. I like just relying on "true" internet from Wi-Fi (nothing beats a good quality signal from my router on a LAN with Comcast internet). :D Of course, if I'm traveling, I could just use a Wi-Fi hot spot or, gee, maybe just use the hotel computer if I'm staying at a hotel. I've never really found 3G/4G connectivity too interesting, it seems like overkill.

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You're clearly missing the point of having a data enabled phone. As much as people would like you to believe it, there is not persistent wifi everywhere, and connecting to random open networks is just stupid. I never have to worry about not being able to check my mail, being able to access information online, or try to figure out where I am in a new city. Is it costly? Sure. Is it worth it? Most definitely.

Also, if you would never pay for data access, why in gods name would you buy and 3G device?

16. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

I sort of fell into the mindset, "What if there's a hurricane and I don't have power for a week? I will have 3G to cover me in case that happens".

It's really the only reason. And now I regret it because it's never happened

Fixed.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

My iPhone bill isn't that expensive. Plus even if it is a tad more expensive, I can justify the price by having an a very good all in one device.

I'd only be saving like 5-10$ on T-Mobile, but I think its worth to pay a little more for iPhone.

18. canderton macrumors member

LOL yeah you would have coverage for maybe 2 days until your battery dies because you don't have power. :p

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Wow, really? you know what's going to happen if you don't have power for a week? All your portable devices will die. It's like buying a bottle of water in case there's a drought, but then you just drink it when you get home. If you weren't going to use it for the intended reason, why get it at all? No everyone needs it, that's for sure, however, I actually know where I work and how I live requires me to have a device with certain capabilities. Millions of people across the country apparently feel that it's necessary, as do I. You know what else people don't need?

Tablets
    Broadband internet
    More than one computing device

Yet you apparently have all of them. I don't own an iPad because I don't need it. Can you say the same?

20. JohnBossu macrumors member

then just forget the idea of having an iphone, without 3G its practically just the same with an ipod touch, the true iphone experience is when you can use it wherever and whenever you want without restricted by wifi availability.

Why would you even consider to have a iphone if only for calling and texting at the first place? You are the one who said its pricey, and maybe for some people its not as pricey as it is for you. If its too pricey and you don't need 24/7 data on your phone just get some cheap simple phone and you'll be good.

21. applefan289, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

The iPad and additional computing devices don't have a monthly fee, but I understand your point. In my mind, I thought most people had TV, phone, internet, and more than 1 computing device, and on top of that, paid for their phone service. Obviously, everyone has their own needs and plans they're paying monthly for, but I think most people have a home internet service on top of a data plan cell phone service, right?

Not understanding why people pay the high monthly fee is why I created this thread.

22. Geffen macrumors 6502

Actually the iPad does have a monthly fee if you purchase a 3G version you'll have to pay the additional 3G monthly charges as you would any other device that connects to the internet unless you buy the wifi only version.

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

First all, the monthly fee is hardly higher. Whether you go with an HTC Inspire or iPhone, they are similar. T-Mobile isn't great everywhere, you know?

Second, people can justify paying a tad more for arguably the most versatile smartphone out there.

24. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Well, I'd drop the data plan on my iPhone in a second if I could. I never use it. The ATT signal I get is crap either way.

And, there's WiFi everywhere I park my butt, so I'd get by just fine without it. I'm glad they now have a $15 a month plan, that helps, but it's still money out the window.

I'd buy the phone outright if I could get a voice only plan and just use wifi.

25. FortMOney macrumors member

You can't. My dad tried to do the same thing. Back when they only had unlimited data, you had to have that plan with an iPhone no matter what. Now, I think you have to pay atleast $15