How do people stuck in the iPhone 'S' upgrade cycle feel about getting screwed again?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Jun 23, 2013.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Disclaimer: This only applies to people who only buy iPhones on contract once every two years.

All things point to minor upgrades on the 5S later this year. Nothing ground breaking. I think it is a given that people stuck in the 'S' upgrade cycle have always gotten less improvements from the previous generation. We all know the non 'S' models (iPhone 3G, 4 and 5) got the new hardware + upgraded internals, while the 'S' ers just got small internal updates. For example: iPhone 4 and 5 owners enjoyed 3.5" and 4" retina displays a full year more than folks on the 3GS and the 4S owners. The story will continue if Apple offers a bigger screen next year with the iPhone 6 again short changing 5S owners.

I for one am lucky to be on the 3G, 4, 5, 6 upgrade cycle. All signs point to the iPhone 6 coming with the option of a bigger screen next year which should make it that much sweeter. So people on the 'S' cycle, are you going to try to break the cadence and wait till the iPhone 6 comes out or are you happy with the way things are and will get the 5S later this year?

2. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Why should someone on an "S" cycle feel screwed? Did THEY not get an upgrade from what they were previously using?

People on 3GS who got a 4S got upgraded from non-Retina to Retina.
    They got the improved antenna system and never had to experience "antenna-gate." They went from a 3.1 MP camera to an 8MP camera. They when from plastic to all glass design.

When 4S people get 5S, they will be going from HSPA+ 14.4 to LTE. They will go from an 8 MP camera to (likely) a 13MP camera. They will go from a 3.5" screen to a 4" screen. They will get fingerprint scanning (if the rumors hold). They will go from the all glass design to the anodized aluminum design.

The only people who should feel somewhat underwhelmed are those who will go from 5 to 5S.

3. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

All I am saying is that folks who went from 3G--> 4 -->5 enjoyed bigger upgrades (compared to the iPhone they were using before) than folks who went from 3GS --> 4S --> 5S. The 'non-S' people also got to enjoy newer hardware like retina screen, 4" displays, glass body design (4) and metal body construction (5) a full year before the 'S' people.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The iPhone has been around for several years with the same "S" cycle pattern so most people who are uncomfortable being on the "S" cycle probably have already broken their cadence by now. Meanwhile, the rest of us continue to upgrade yearly and enjoy the latest hardware/features/etc.

5. irDigital0l Guest

Is that your opinion or is that a fact?

If its a fact, back it up with data.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm sure you can figure out from context that it's merely my opinion. AT&T stopped offering yearly upgrades and there were lots of people who didn't see any point in getting the 4S so those same people are now on the 5 and probably won't care for the 5S either.

7. Haximus macrumors newbie

I upgrade every 1.5 iphone's :D

8. irDigital0l Guest

The iPhone 4S beat the iPhone 4 in terms of sales just like how the iPhone 5 beat the iPhone 4S in terms of sales.

Just proves people upgrade every year. People don't stop upgrading because its a S version.

9. scottw324 macrumors 6502

First off, the S model buyers are not stuck with S model upgrades. They can always wait an extra year to purchase the no S model to change their upgrade timeline. That is a personal choice.

Second, the individuals that purchase the S model version, like someone else mentioned above, was the improved model of each iteration of the iPhone model. So you always got the faster processor, better camera, special feature (video recording with the 3GS and Siri with the 4S), fixed issues (iPhone 4 antennagate), HSPA+. About the only bad part you all had to endure was the iPhone 4S's battery issue.

The iP5S will be just as good and some of the issues people do not like about the iP5 will be fixed or improved at that time (not real sure what those are since I haven't had any problem with my iP5 yet, even jailbroken).

I will probably hold onto my iP5 for another 2 yrs and upgrade when the iP6S comes out. Yes it will be so hard to not upgrade at the iP6 time frame but I will have a new iPad Mini to keep me from needing to I am sure. :)

----------

But there are plenty of people that are still using the iP4 and 3GS and maybe 3G iPhones out there that will upgrade. Or people will sell their phones to others and upgrade to the new model. Either way the iP5S will sell just fine I am sure

10. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

People who are on the S cycle (like me) get the device the non-S should have been.

3 vs 3G-S - underpowered vs 3G-S
    4 vs 4S - fixed antenna, better performance, Siri
    5 vs 5S - likely ships with iOS7, early iphone 5 manufacturing niggles sorted out, etc.

11. taedouni macrumors 65816

The iPhone 4 to 4S was a huge difference. The looks may not have been that noticeable but internally they were extremely significant.

Don't be silly. They may look similar but they're completely different devices.

12. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Whats this dross about getting screwed?

I'm on the "S" cycle. I can get off it if I want no problem but being on the "S" cycle means I get a refined version of the redesign.

Don't think we're getting hard done by because we're not. We're still getting big upgrades teh same as the redesign cycle.

13. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

As I see it the S cycle upgraders are getting the better deal. The S models are the refined version of the generation. Either way though, if you change iPhones every 2 years, you're fine, no one is getting screwed.

14. waa1futs macrumors 6502

Kind of sucks being on the S cycle since you only get the year old tech with a few tiny improvements to it.

Luckily there are ways to get back on the real upgrade cycle (3G -> 4 -> 5, etc) so if the user stays on the S cycle they have no one to blame but themselves ;)

15. AFDoc, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

AFDoc macrumors 68030

Have not read others responses.... wanted mine to be pure of others thoughts on this subject.

What a sense of entitlement those on the S cycle that feel they are getting "screwed" must have if they truly feel that way. They can purchase any phone, any time they desire. I know you made the disclaimer that it was for those on 2 year contract deal yadda yadda but that doesn't mean bunk. IF the fact that a person is on an S cycle and not the "new version" cycle causes them to be butt hurt, I say that hurt isn't painful enough.

It's clearly stated as an opinion.

I have 1 upgrade available now and 3 for the 6. I'll probably pick up the 5s just to see what they did with it. I just lost my JB (had to swap out 2 days ago r/t my power button not working, came with 6.1.4 :mad: ) so no biggie when it comes to using a non JB device.

16. Unami macrumors 6502a

just to chime in:
    if you're updating from 4s to 5s it's virtually the same "big" upgrade as going from 4 to 5 - as both updates are two years apart and the hardware gap between those 2 years is the same. the only difference is, that you get the phone with the higher model nummer/new design one year later than some people. it's only a number...

on the other hand, you get the 2nd-gen refined & bugfixed model of each design - which is a much better deal.

i'm currently in the "non-s" upgrade cycle and secretly wishing that my phone dies sometimes unexpextedly or gets stolen so i get an excuse to change to the s-cycle.

17. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry, how exactly are people getting screwed? no ones got a gun to your head, you want the new phone you buy it, simple... :rolleyes:

18. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

3G to 3GS: A boatload faster and video recording

4 to 4S: Faster, HSPA+, much improved camera, Siri, more than one color choice at launch, no antenna issues

5 to 5s: It has yet to be seen what the selling points will be, but you can bet that the coating won't be scuffed and scratched.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People are not stuck or getting screwed on the S upgrade cycle. If they feel that way then they simply can choose not to upgrade.

Since someone has a 4S, and they move to a 5S wouldn't they have more features then the 4S. In fact they'll have all the benefits of the 5 plus the newest updates to the phone for the 5s. If thy don't like what they see in the 5 or 5s feature set they can wait until the 6.

Technically given the 2 year contracts and subsidized pricing, its better to go 3S to 5S, so that in of itself is a huge jump in features and performance.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

No they did not. They still allow you to upgrade yearly but you pay an upgrade fee of $250. This is only for the iphone and no other phone.

21. shotts56 macrumors 6502

Oooooooooh, someone's touchy this morning.

22. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

This thread makes no sense whatsoever. An upgrade from a 4s to a 5s is just a as big as an upgrade from a 4 to a 5.

23. deeddawg macrumors 603

Exactly.

Plus those who buy on the "tock" cycle (S versions) get the benefit of a mature accessory market (wider selection, lower prices) as well as having had the major issues from the "tick" cycle largely being fixed. (iphone 4 antennagate)

Finally - only sheep feel they can't upgrade their phone any time they want. Buy used or full-price and sell your old phone to recoup much of the cost.

24. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Don't forget 4S is limited to 2.4GHz 802.11n.

Guess what the 5S will have?

25. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Ah, the voice of sweet reason!

Actual ratiocination appears on our boards.:D

BTW: I haven't felt screwed in much too long a time...:eek: