How do the new $30 Earpods compare to the $70 Apple in-ear headphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by omgwut, Oct 18, 2012.

1. omgwut macrumors 6502

I've been wondering this. I haven't found any Earpods to demo in the Apple retail stores I've visited lately (all they ever have is Monster Beats, etc.) so unfortunately I can't test them out for myself. I'm sure just based on the price gap the answer may be obvious, but I could be surprised. I hear the Earpods are pretty good.

FYI, I don't know the exact name for them but I'm talking about the white iPhone & iPod in-ear earbuds that are made by Apple (not the stock ones that come with the devices) and come with a remote on the cord and three different sized interchangeable rubber earpieces, and a little triangular storage case to keep them in. I own a pair and I really think they're superb for the price.

Thanks!

2. al0513 macrumors 6502

Ear pods are a great upgrade from the older ones. That being said, I have other headphones that I prefer.. Beats, marleys, vmodos, and souls.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

They're called Apple In-Ear Headphones. I have them too, have used them for years, and I still really like them.

I tried the EarPods once. Once. I have very small ears, and the EarPods still hurt my ears like a mofo, so they went back into the (admittedly very nice) case, waiting for me to sell the iPhone 5 a year or two down the line. The sound was better than the original earbuds, but not near as good as the In-Ear Headphones.

4. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

I like them better but I still enjoy my sol republic and studio beats better

5. mzd macrumors 6502a

so you already have the Apple in-ear dual driver model?
    you won't get any "better" sound with the new earpods. the new earpods are an improvement over the old stock ibuds, but they definitely are not as good as Apple's in-ear version. for casual listening, the earpods are alright. the bass is definitely more pronounced. but you won't get the detail and clarity or the isolation you get with the in-ears.

6. auero macrumors 65816

I prefer the in ear because they don't fall out. The new earpods don't fit great in my ears.

I'd skip both though and get Klipsch S4's. They're amazing and go on sale often.

7. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I had a pair of Klipsch S4 and although the sound was good, the case was cheesy and the wires were plastic instead of rubber wrapped. Which means the wires aren't naturally limp. I hated that.

8. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Klipsch S4i will walk all over the Apple in-ear buds.

9. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I bought a pair of Klipsch Image S2M about 4 years ago. I have used them almost daily since then. They sound great and I love in-ear headphones. So I imagine the S4i are great, probably better. Though I am thinking of going bluetooth in the near future.

10. musicjunky macrumors regular

JVC FX40s for $20 sounds better than earbud and earpods. Not sure about the Apple IEMs.