Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

How do they do that drawing effect in explanation animations?

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDu2A3WzQpo

See how it's animating how it's being drawn onto the "paper"? How can this be done? I'm looking to do a tutorial/explanation of something with this exact same effect if at all possible, so I wanted to see if anyone has an idea of how this can be done?

Thanks!

-Evan

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
I want to know as well. I know the long way of doing it, animating it frame by frame in either Flash or AF, but I would love to know if there is a "faster" way.

My only task for my wedding is to animate a 5 minute video and it's not working well so far. :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'd imagine in the background they're static images that are given the impression of being drawn by moving a mask around. I did that in Flash back in 2002, not sure where I'd start today. Could probably do it straight in Final Cut (though I don't know how well masks work on that).

Alternatively theres stop motion. You could set up a working rig with just a few lights and an SLR camera but it would require a lot more skill and it'd be a lot harder to edit individual pieces later. Then just drop that whole video onto a still image of a sketchbook and set the layer transparency effect to darken or somehow make the white background on the video transparent.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I didn't have powerpoint in mind, though it's a possibility. I'm on a mac, and I have keynote.

I guess I could see the mask thing working. A bit of a pain, but it could be worse. Anyone seen any tutorials or have a lot of experience they could share?

-Evan

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I'd imagine in the background they're static images that are given the impression of being drawn by moving a mask around. I did that in Flash back in 2002, not sure where I'd start today. Could probably do it straight in Final Cut (though I don't know how well masks work on that).

Alternatively theres stop motion. You could set up a working rig with just a few lights and an SLR camera but it would require a lot more skill and it'd be a lot harder to edit individual pieces later. Then just drop that whole video onto a still image of a sketchbook and set the layer transparency effect to darken or somehow make the white background on the video transparent.

That is the first thing I thought of this when I saw it.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I would have thought AE, but with Flash advancing as it has recently, it's certainly possible with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.