How do U get 750,000 emails stored on Laptop?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Phil in ocala, Nov 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

CNN et al say there are 750,000 emails on Anthony Weiners's Laptop....If he has applications, music, some pics, WP doc too...as everyone does...how big a hard drive does an older have to have to store all of that?
    How long would it take anyone to write 750,000 considered emails? Do any of you have this many or half this on your laptop?

2. julianps macrumors member

julianps

My portfolio runs to about 20,000 received and 10,000 sent and it all fits (with attachments) on a free iCloud account just fine. Sadly I'll never move to iPad/iPhone7 because of email alone.

Unless someone knows of a workflow that would accommodate this?

3. nutjob macrumors 6502a

This may come as a shock to you, but it's also possible to receive emails, even on a laptop. Some people get a lot of emails.

4. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

Good question OP. I too have wondered that. Another question is how did the FBI know there were over 650,000 without a search warrant to count them?

And how long would it take to even count that many?

5. Phil in ocala thread starter macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

Many people buy a lot of gasoline....know any car that can accomodate 1000 gallons??
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2016 ---
    How big a hard drive would you need for 750K emails....plus space for applications and jpegs and music...my point is that NO ONE makes now or did some years ago any Laptop that could do it....This is just BS

6. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Email is mostly a text format in the low figure kb range so will take up next to nothing for space now if a lot of large attachments were there then it could be getting larger for the storage. Even then most providers limit the size of the attachment to under 10mb from what I have seen. A thousand of them is 10gb another increase of a thousand times 10tb used for a million. In short if averaging 10k per email then 10gb would have been used by a million emails. Guess it would be 75gb according to a quick google that found this page as the first hit and I fail to see who would be writing 7000 words per email on a consistent basis.

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-the-average-size-of-an-email-message-1171208

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Gasoline and email don't really equate. Today's laptops can store billions of emails, let alone 750,000. A more relevant question would be why would someone want to keep so many messages.

8. Phil in ocala thread starter macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

9. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

You are correct it would take tb for that but as I stated with the math if you had bothered to read that post you can store millions on just about any laptop with 150gb+ drive. That would be just about any laptop produced in the last number of years.

10. Phil in ocala thread starter macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

Sorry...but I asked for your calculations...you did not offer any....If it took 4 min to write one email multiply that times 750,000.....it just does not make any real sense.

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It depends on have you define "on the laptop."

What happened, in this case, is that whatever mail clients have been used on the laptop create a file of the metadata of every e-mail account that has been accessed on it. It's not storing the actual content of the e-mails, just a record of the date, time, recipient, and sender.

So, for instance, if someone just borrowed the laptop to check their e-mails once, a record the entire e-mail history of that account would become part of the metadata file. Again: Not the content. Not any attachments. Just date, time, sender, recipient, (maybe) subject and size.

That's how.

12. MaxHedrm macrumors newbie

There are ways to get information like this in most email clients. No one sat there & counted them. For instance, in Outlook if you create a search folder you can make it show all your messages. In Mail.app you just go to account info.

Most people of any "importance" get emails from a variety of sources. And many email threads don't take 4 minutes to reply to. Nor does everything require a reply.

My work email account has over 25,000 emails and is limited to 15 months. I also clean bulk crap up from time to time and get very little non-work email there. Add to that things like junk mail, I have about 1700 messages in my junk mailbox at home & that's only a bit over a week's worth. So, if you don't clean up after yourself, that would build up fast.

My 25,000 emails at work are a bit on the large side at 8GB. But that includes some big recurring attachments.

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

You can set the iPhone to only keep 2 weeks worth of emails on your phone but it will still be on the cloud/server.

14. cube macrumors G5

Someone who gets a lot of emails and does not delete any could get to that number after some years.

I have a 2TB drive in my laptop and I think it should be more than enough.

15. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Op - some professions deal in huge volumes of email from internal and external sources. Most emails contain a trail with each an email itself. We don't know if every addressee is counted as an email either. So the metadata count of accumulated emails can be huge but the count of truly distinct emails more meaningful.

16. unlinked macrumors 6502a

750K messages sounds like a lot. My work email alerts only have 40K over the last 4 years.
    Maybe it has all the emails for the clinton email domain on it?

17. Herdfan macrumors 6502

You are assuming she wrote all of the emails.

She has admitted forwarding many of her work emails to her personal account because it was hard to print them from her state.gov account. Someone in her positions would probably get hundreds a day. If she didn't delete any it can add up quickly.

Quick math shows that if you received/wrote 222 emails per day and didn't delete any, in 8 years you would have 650,000.

18. Gjwilly, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016

Gjwilly macrumors 68030

19. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Good question. I don't know but I do know a lady who does.

20. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

A lot of reports are scant on details. They may say it is on a laptop, but they don't say if it has an external drive or other peripherals.

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Oh you can bet the farm there's some pics on that bad boy.

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yeah, I was about to post they could fit on an empty computer but not Anthony's. Too many selfies and dick pics.

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Many of the emails will likely be very short responses to someone's question that didn't take 4 minutes to write.for example if she used email like texting. Others may have been a group working on something and multiple people sending emails on an email chain which can result in a huge number of emails all coming in in the span of a minute or two if people hit reply all.

24. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I have a @Mil email address and most of what we do is send plain text emails. So with that, I could understand 750,000 of those - and yeah, try to send anything over a few MB in attachments and the email either won't send or dies so we never send attachments if we can help it. Since most everyone I work with is almost 2x my age - email the main form of communication - they want a written record as well so email is also the preferred means of communication - not uncommon to have 20+ pages of short replies in less than a few days for one email thread.

Like others said, I bet these are short answers, plain text, etc...