How do we manage pictures we want on iphone vs photostream?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by enzo thecat, Sep 19, 2014.

1. enzo thecat macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

With iOS8, it appears you can not save any pictures on your iphone that you do not want on photostream.

With iOS7 they were separate folders. When I saved/took a picture it was duplicated to both folders and I could delete photos out of photostream that I did not want there.

Does anyone know how to manage this? How can I keep selected photos on my phone and NOT have them added to photostream?

Here is the scenario (for clarification): We use photostream as a screensaver on our Apple TV pretty much all day long. We just want family pictures on there. But there are professional and private pictures I take and need saved on my phone. We dont want displayed on the TV.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much for your time.

e

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Its broken.

Apple pulled part of iCloud Photo Libraries.

Some select few from beta have full features, but 95% got a partial product rollout. Youll have to hold tight and hope apple pushes update and fixes soon.

3. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I haven't found this to be a problem. From what I've experienced, after you take a photo with your iPhone, you need to navigate to that photo in the Photos app and manually select to "Share" it before it is added to the Photo Stream.

4. afsnyder macrumors 65816

I didn't even notice photo stream was missing wow...

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

That isn't true. My wife has taken some pictures that are in
    PhotoStream and I know she didn't add them there on purpose.

6. enzo thecat thread starter macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

That's what I was afraid of. Crap and crap. I expected better from them.

7. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Even when that element is added back in it will still be "broken," because you still won't be able to see which photos are on the device. Furthermore the new approach to photo management assumes you're okay with sending a copy of every photo in your library to Apple's cloud servers. Bad assumption.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It worked that way with Photo Stream before.
    Also that can be disabled, before in iOS6/7 and still going forward iOS8.

9. Razeus macrumors 603

It's funny how I have yet to see a blog or news site complain about this...

10. davechapfilms macrumors newbie

11. Razeus macrumors 603

That's how Photostream worked. Now suddenly it's a problem.

12. enzo thecat thread starter macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

No. Thats not it at all. Read my original post before you discount the concern.

13. mpfuchs macrumors regular

mpfuchs

No big deal, just create a shared iCloud Album. You don't have to actually share it with anybody, just create it. Call it something like "Screensaver".
    And then just add all the pictures that you want to show up on your screen saver to that Album.

Just pick that album for the screen saver and you're done!

14. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

No, Razeus. That's not how it's always worked, so you can take your feeble apologetics elsewhere. No matter how loudly you argue that this change is not a change or that it's better this way you're still flat out wrong. I suggest you stop minimizing peoples' valid concerns and expend your energy on something more productive.

----------

Doesn't even come close to addressing the problems introduced by this update.

15. Razeus macrumors 603

You're awfully active today. Apple isn't going to change it. Get over it. Find a solution to your problem and quit your complain.

If you have a photo you need to use for later, save it by making an album.

The new Photos app is vastly superior. You can always download the MyRoll app. See? Problem solved and didn't take a gillion threads to find a work around. Your beef is a non-issue. Stop making this bigger than what it is. Your cheese is still were you left it.

16. bushido Suspended

bushido

its the worst i take so many screenshots each day i certainly dont need to have them in the cloud OR stored in the "recently deleted" folder for 30 days ... so annoying

17. cynics macrumors G4

Seems more involved to manage rather then just removing the few you don't want. But it is a solution for the reason I've been missing photostream so thanks for that!

18. mpfuchs macrumors regular

mpfuchs

True, but solves the OPs problem.

It is more involving, but it's also helpful, if you want different screen savers for different occasions, for example.

19. enzo thecat thread starter macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

I tried your suggestion 2 folder were created on my iphone:

"Activity" - This folder shows up on Apple TV but is empty. On my phone it is filled with pictures.

"Apple TV" Filled it with pictures on my iphone but the folder isnt showing up on the apple TV at all.

What else can I do?

20. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

There is no photo stream anymore. Not in the sense that you are used to.

I would see if it's possible to change the Apple TV to loading from a selected album. Make one for 'screensaver' and put whatever you want to show in there.

21. Born2run45 macrumors member

vastly superior? wow. we used to have one album that showed photos in the cloud and another album that showed locally stored photos. now we have one album for both with no way to tell the difference and no way to manage it. if its sooo superior why do you need to download a third party app to manage it?

22. mpfuchs macrumors regular

mpfuchs

When you open the photos app, there are three icons in the bottom, right?
    Did you create a folder in the center one, that's called shared?

If not, you need to turn iCloud Photo Sharing in the Settings>iCloud>Photos on.

If you did all that right and it's still not showing up, you might have to also run software update on the apple TV.

If it then still doesn't work, then there must be a change in Software, as iOS7 and the previous version on apple TV would let you do what I described above.

One more thing you could try is to turn of Photo sharing on the apple TV and then turn it back on. (when I updated to iOS8 on my iPhone, all my photos where gone, but after turning My Photo Stream off and on a couple of times, the photos were back)

23. Razeus macrumors 603

You don't need a 3rd party app. But apparently people do. I know my pics are in the cloud. If I delete, then it's gone. Simple. But some people like the old archaic way, and that's fine.

24. Born2run45 macrumors member

by people you mean you. you are the only one that i have seen to mention using a 3rd party app. how can you tell what pics are in the cloud and which are on the phone? this eludes me.