How do we watch 4K video if the iPhone screens only display 720p on the 6 and 1080p on the 6s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nouveau-apple, Sep 14, 2015.

1. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

Um. We won't even be able to watch the 4K video. We'd never see any difference.

2. mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

You're right. The only benefit I can see for myself personally is future proofing! In three years time when 4K is the standard all our past videos won't look old and crap on our hi res TVs.

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

You can watch it on your iPhone.

If you want to watch it in 4K you'll have to watch it on the 4K screen.

On 4.7" and 5.5" screens I don't think you'd see much difference between 1080p and 4K even if the iPhone had a 4K display.

4. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

No 4k Video >> "Apple is so behind everyone else"
    Introduce 4k video in 6s >> "Whats the point of 4k video?"

People are never happy.

5. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Seriously....
    You wouldn't be able to tell any difference on a phone sized screen between 1080 and 4k video. It would just kill the battery and make games unplayable with the mobile gpu. I am glad Apple didn't increase the resolution on their phones..

6. dukejl macrumors newbie

In some of the videos you can see they zoom in on a playing video - should be useful on the phone for that.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

well they do have 5K iMacs and the retina MacBooks (higher than 1080p). My guess is they expect people to edit their videos on the macs?

8. MattXDA macrumors 6502

MattXDA

• Viewing on a retina Mac / 4K TV
    • Ability to crop / stabilise the video with less quality reduction
    • Can zoom further
    • It's the future; why stay at an inferior quality for good? We already went from SD TVs to 1080p as standard. 4K is the next step.

9. Rob198612 macrumors 6502

I have a feeling they were thinking of putting it in this years model a 4K display but since he battery is smaller due to the Taptic Engine.

I think next years with the new design we will see a 4K display. You can't have 4K recording power with under 4K for two years in a roll

And it gives people need to upgrade on the display alone

10. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Don't be ridiculous. You'll buy a 5K retina iMac to watch 4K video. Why would you want to watch 4K video on your tiny phone?

You can, for convenience, but trust me, 4k video on the 5K iMac is.... An unbelievable experience. I do this all the time with my Panasonic LX100.

Even on the 15" rMBP the video is absolutely stunning.

11. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't say what's the point of 4k video. I said what's the point of recording 4k if we can't even watch it on the phone. I would disable it if I could.
    Yes you would. You're just saying the kind of stuff that apple said about "retina is the best the eye can see" before they came out with retina hd.

We don't even get to see what 4k can do because we never have all the right tools.

And you know what else? I bet that with all the camera improvements, I bet the resolution on slow motion videos will still be grainy and unchanged.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

you can in settings.

13. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I will edit my iPhone's 4K video and enjoy it on my glorious 5K iMac.

14. Ninerboy81 macrumors regular

Ninerboy81

This is good lol

15. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Cinema cameras that record in 6K and 8K rarely even come with a monitor at all and the one used typically is not anything close to 4K. The display on your phone is a playback device to let you verify the content was recorded as you intended. Full 4K viewing is meant to be watched on devices other than your phone. DSLR's use low resolution displays on the back not for viewing the full resolution but to verify framing and capture details like blur and focus point. The full view is done external to the recording device. This applies to so many other systems as well like GoPro where you don't get a 4K display and often none at all. You will have the option to drop back in quality if you like to save space. You will also have the ability to record at the higher level which gives you more to work with in the future. The 6S wont even display fully standard HD but meh, thats ok.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Not pointless for some. I have a 4K Sony TV!:p

17. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh. Well, no device I own is 4K. None of their MacBooks are.

18. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Who would want to watch 4K video on a phone screen anyway, other than to preview it? I'm excited to start syncing the first 4K footage over to my 5K iMac...

You can always change the quality back to 1080p if you don't have a 4K capable device.

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

No MacBooks are, but the resolutions can still exceed 1080P so it will actually look better on them.

20. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

It is pointless as your all going to keep shooting in portrait mode anyway.

21. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Same here. I don't own anything yet that is 4K and based on my reading I may not. 8K is already looking like it will be the next thing and may take off in place of 4K so hang in there, you may not be interested in just 4K soon anyhow.

22. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

All of the Retinas are 2K, which exceeds 1080p. You'll also see benefit from higher bitrates on 4K content, even on a 1080p display.

23. Ninerboy81 macrumors regular

Ninerboy81

Question. How do I get the 4K video onto my tv to take advantage of the new 4K video recording? I can't airplay it because my apple tv does not have support for 4K. Upload to my computer and then put onto a flash drive is the only thing that comes to mind...

24. gadget123 macrumors 68000

That's what the HDMI cable is for you can display your iPhone or pictures on it. I guess Apple TV will do the same?

25. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Did you know that your photos are also higher than 720 and 1080p resolution?ndespite the fact that you cannot see the full resolution of the image stored on your phone, it still takes photos in a higher resolution so that they may be enjoyed on other mediums.