how do ya'll feel about this (Pope)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TSE, Dec 18, 2013.

1. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

It's a pretty cool site

=======

I'm not a fan of religious folks but the Pope's a pretty squared away guy

2. dec. Suspended

dec.

I find the whole concept of church, pope and religion itself pretty bizarre but it probably isn't a bad thing for those people who take it serious that their leader is somewhat trying to adapt to modern times, of course within very strict limits - as pointing out "progressive feats" like "taking a selfie" proves...

3. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

A step in the right direction. Religion is at it's best when it is helping people, not so good when seeking power and control, selling dogma and coercing money to support itself. I can only imagine, but if I picture the Catholic Church with billions that they sit on and I can only wonder why? What better use than to spend this money wisely, in service of humanity. Why horde?

4. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

He has the right focus, help each other first.
    There is enough suffering in the world, do not need to add to it / make it worse.

5. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I am just wondering because I constantly see people here bash the catholic church and/or pope. it would be interesting to see if people actually believe this pope is a good guy or just using it as publicity?

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Eh? He's not adapting the Church to modern times, he's taking the Church back to its roots. You can summarize everything about Pope Francis in 3 Bible verses: 1 Corinthians 1-3.

This is what Jesus spent 3 years trying to teach. It took me nearly 30 years to finally understand the message.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not to take it off topic, but part of me envies you.

Coming from a Black (read: Baptist, and not Southern Baptist) family, I had much harder of a time trying to understand the language used than the teaching! You have to admit, the King James version of the Bible is hard to understand when you're a child.

BL.

8. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

#7 Gus Fring :O

Seriously though, I think this is fantastic. He's representing what the church should all be about.

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Christian fundamentalism...which for those that didn't know has nothing to do with stringing up blacks and beating up gays.

It means christianity stripped down to it's original intent, which at it's core really is a simple dogma.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Yet, he continues to sweep the pedophile priests under the rug (AFAIK).

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You didn't even read the article, just made groundless assumptions?

He's the best thing that has happened for the church in many years IMO.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

As an Atheist, I still disagree with the organization he heads and the way it seeks to explain our existence.

That said, the actions he has undertaken are very very respectable.

I've always been interested in conversing with major world figures like a pope, but I would be much more interested in talking with this Pope because I respect his actions.

13. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

Until he acknowledges that you can't claim to be Christian and still bless war and other atrocities, no he hasn't improved anything.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You can't fix everything at once...

15. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

I guess in most circles everyone would agree to stop killing and then work on the other stuff.

16. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Ummmm I'm pretty sure the Pope and Catholic Church in general haven't supported the wars in the Middle East at all, correct me if I'm wrong?

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Do the Crusades count?

18. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Touche. I guess I wasn't specific enough. I meant the ones of recent.

19. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I figured that's what you meant, but I couldn't resist. Sorry. :eek:

I actually agree with you. The Catholic Church, as well as most of the old mainline Protestant churches, have largely been opposed to recent wars, while many of the Fundamentalist and right-wing churches have seemed more gung-ho about the idea of going to war.

An article from 2003, Church Goers Support War with Iraq, talked about a Gallup poll that showed that church-going Americans were more likely to support war against Saddam Hussein than were Americans as a whole, however the article does point out the opposition of the Catholic and mainline Protestant groups.