Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gurj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Hi

I have a iPod Classic 80gb and it no longer works...there are files on the harddrive that I need to access but i can not as the ipod doesn't connect or charge at all.

I bought a LIF/JIF enclosure and put the harddrive in there from the ipod an my PC picks it up but can not read it but my Mac doesnt read it whatsoever...proving that the harddrive is still working but I cant access it!

I went to the Apple store and they said they can only replace it but also said there are outside agents that could unlock the harddrive as toshiba have put a lock on it so ppl cant use them as everyday harddrives.

does anyone know how I can access the files or any where i could unlock the lock toshiba put on it?

the only thing i can think of it putting the harddrive into another ipod an trying that way without having to unlock it but that would mean opening up a working hard drive!

thanks if anyones knows how

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
If your Windows (?) PC picks it up, you can use the trial of MacDrive to read from it and copy your data back onto the Mac.

In Mac OS X, does it show up in Disk Utility?

gurj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
If your Windows (?) PC picks it up, you can use the trial of MacDrive to read from it and copy your data back onto the Mac.

In Mac OS X, does it show up in Disk Utility?

Yeh its windows...Jus downloaded Macdrive but thats not picking it up unless im going about it wrong

No it doesnt show up at all in Disk Utliity on mac os x

Windows is picking it up but not showing it as a harddrive..it installed a driver for it when I put it in so it recognises it there..the only place I can see it is in "Device Manager" and it comes up as "811 ATA/ ATAPI Device USB Device" but after that im stumped
_
_
_
I have found it on Mac drive but i have to erase the data on it to go any further!

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
From what you've described, it sounds like the hard drive died.

You say Windows picks it up as an ATA/ATAPI device, but the drive won't mount. That says to me that windows "sees" the enclosure but not the drive in it.

You also have stated that on the Mac it sees it but wants to reformat it, so that tells me that as far as the Mac is concerned the drive is unreadable.

Even if the iPod was formatted for Windows, it won't require any special software (someone suggested MacDrive) because Windows iPods are formatted for FAT not NTFS. Mac is perfectly capable of reading/writing to FAT volumes without third-party software.

I would double check to ensure that you've connected the drive to the enclosure properly, but you might have to resign yourself to the loss of the data on the drive unless you choose to employ a data recovery service. (Pricey)

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Even if the iPod was formatted for Windows, it won't require any special software (someone suggested MacDrive) because Windows iPods are formatted for FAT not NTFS. Mac is perfectly capable of reading/writing to FAT volumes without third-party software.

While it is true, that iPods formatted via Windows are using the FAT32 file system, I assumed the iPod was formatted in Mac OS X first, thus using the Mac OS Extended file system (HFS+), and as HFS+ can't be read by Windows, I recommended MacDrive as means to read the iPod via Windows, if it might have been formatted in Mac OS X first.

gurj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
From what you've described, it sounds like the hard drive died.

You say Windows picks it up as an ATA/ATAPI device, but the drive won't mount. That says to me that windows "sees" the enclosure but not the drive in it.

You also have stated that on the Mac it sees it but wants to reformat it, so that tells me that as far as the Mac is concerned the drive is unreadable.

I would double check to ensure that you've connected the drive to the enclosure properly, but you might have to resign yourself to the loss of the data on the drive unless you choose to employ a data recovery service. (Pricey)

would windows see the enclosure if the disk wasn't even in it?

It doesnt even pick up on my mac

Im sure ive connected it properly as theres only one way there makes it show up...its looking gloomy then! worth a shot i suppose

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
would windows see the enclosure if the disk wasn't even in it?

It doesnt even pick up on my mac

Im sure ive connected it properly as theres only one way there makes it show up...its looking gloomy then! worth a shot i suppose

Yes, Windows' Device Manager will show the device, even if the disk wasn't in it, that is at least my experience with Windows and Firewire enclosures using the Oxford chipsets.

Have you taken a look at Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management yet?

gurj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Yes, Windows' Device Manager will show the device, even if the disk wasn't in it, that is at least my experience with Windows and Firewire enclosures using the Oxford chipsets.

Have you taken a look at Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management yet?

I tried it an the enclosure didnt show up by itself

I havent tried that but i have now and it says the disk is "not Initialized" and when i go to initialise it, it says "the device is not ready"

Any ideas on the next step?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.