how do you all deal with the lack of USB ports?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by js09, Nov 15, 2013.

1. js09 macrumors member

I freed up one by going to a bluetooth keyboard, but I have a few external drives (usb 3), a wired mouse for design work, and a required ACD that needs a usb port.

I can't use the three usb hubs on the ACD since they're usb 2. so right now it's used only for the mouse.

I wish i could daisy chain all my externals with thunderbolt, but that technology doesn't exist yet.

i could also get a docking station (http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U055/) but it's $300.

I could also use a usb 3 hub, but it hinders the speed of my usb 3 externals, which is important as i use them frequently for photo work.

any suggestions? i know you guys have some creative solutions :)

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

The hub is your best option. You talk about it hindering the speed of the externals, but are you just theorizing or have you actually seen the speed cut in practice?

3. js09 thread starter macrumors member

I have a usb 3 hub and the transfer speeds are noticeably slower. perhaps I need to upgrade to a better hub? additionally, one of the drives that i use frequently is an external solely powered by usb (WD my passport or something).. so there are potential power issues to consider.

i'm going to also try and find a bluetooth mouse that is adequate for photo/design work. havent found much yet even after trying out the magic mouse.

----------

Investigating the best usb 3 hub out there.. any recommendations?

this one looks good! http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Adapter-VL812-B2-Chipset-Firmware/dp/B005NGQWL2/

4. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

I would look into a powerd USB 3 hub. That should fix the issue with your devices that get their power from USB.

5. jekyoo macrumors 6502

http://www.amazon.com/Anker®-Charge...5874&sr=1-2&keywords=anker+usb+hub+3.0+4+port

I purchased this and I love it. I think 6 ports is enough but you could go more. The speeds are the same whether it's connected to a usb hub or directly to your computer. I just performed this test now on my 4tb external and ssd and I received the same read/write speeds.

I have the usb hub attached to the back of my table to reduce the clutter. I have everything connected through the hub so if I need to bring my laptop somewhere, all I need to do is unplug the hub's usb port.

As SVTmaniac stated, a hub with a power adapter is essential to having all your devices working properly. Hubs without a power adapter are limited to usb thumb drive usage.

6. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Bluetooth Keyboard + Mouse.

Synology server that is accessed wirelessly with VPN so can be accessed outside of local network as well :)

Only thing I use USB ports for is USB Keys.

With a decent WiFi router with USB ports, you should get fairly good speeds accessing your HD's wirelessly. I get close to 60MB/s from my synology on my local network

7. Doward macrumors 6502a

I don't know, I think 5 USB ports is plenty on my 17" MBP.

Got 3 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0!