How Do you Backup Your Photos from your iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I use Photo Stream, and then back them up to my MBP but I find with a 16GB IP5 I am constantly having to remove them from my phone which is getting to be a pain in the butt. I also tried DropBox, but that gets to be a pain because there is no thumbnail view and going thru hundreds is a pain.

Anyone doing something different? I am looking for a better way if you have one.

2. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

iPhoto. Then when it's done just click delete photos from device. Pretty simple

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I do this as well.

4. gmhag macrumors regular

I've been thinking for a while that the iphone needs better photo management and syncing. I've tried photostream but it didnt work too well. I find the best way is to sync with iphoto but I still like to keep a lot of photos on my iphone so I never delete them off of my phone. Currently i have 1,012 photos and videos taking up 5.6GB. Seems there isn't a really simple solution.

Looks like iOS7 will address alot of the photo management but we will see if they add any sort of smart syncing. I would like the ability to favorite an album/event or individual photos that you want to keep on your device. There has to be a smart way to do it.

5. Retina13 macrumors newbie

I don't believe in iCloud or Photo Stream or any of that stuff. I backup my phone to my computer and I use iPhoto to save pictures and manage them.

6. gmhag macrumors regular

You dont believe in it or dont trust it?

I wouldn't put anything in the cloud that I wouldn't want the world to see. Which is why I dont sync my photos with iCloud.

7. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I do the iPhoto thing as well, but when I delete a photo of the phone I wind up needing it later on, so I have been using DropBox, but I am out of space there as well...

iOS7 looks better, but I think the photo issue is still there unless you get a 64GB or maybe 128GB iPhone when they are out. Problem is, unless you sync with your Mac or PC, if you had 1000 photos then had to go to Apple and swap your phone, you would lose them.

8. Retina13 macrumors newbie

Every experience I've had with it just screwed everything up. So I got rid of using it. Personally, its much easier to backup my phone to my computer and know EVERYTHING is backed up. Personal preference I guess

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I use image capture as I find the interface better for just dumping photos and videos, but functionally the same.

10. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I use disk aid 6 to pull photos because I hate how iPhoto libraries grow huge. For example, I had a 40 gig photo library in iPhoto but when I extracted all the photos to just plain files it was maybe 25GB.

So basically I got tired of iPhoto wasting space.

I use Dropbox and Carbonite simultaneously so if someone hacks my dropbox I can recover my files through Carbonite -- and Carbonite keeps deleted files for 30 days in case you change your mind so even if someone deletes photos there I can get them back as long as I notice within a month.

Dual cloud set up is a bit costly but I feel "safe" overall. Though I will back things up to an external every once in a super long while (maybe once or twice a year).

Both Dropbox and Carbonite have apps. I don't ever really browse old photos on my phone (that's what my computer is for) so lag time for those rare occasions isn't a big issue for me.

11. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

umm i import them into my my pictures folder...its not rocket science.

12. kaylerrific macrumors regular

I used iPhoto exclusively until I discovered how much space it was taking up! I can't believe I wasted so much space with that app. Anyway, I took all the photos out of iPhoto and now just sync with Dropbox. I wish the automatic upload all in Dropbox truly was automatic, but that's OK.

13. ChrisA macrumors G4

What happen if there is a fire in your house?

iPhoto (on a Mac) and then Time machine is a good plan but it needs something more, something off-site.

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I use Crashplan and the only thing I hate about iPhoto, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but if I restore from Crashplan I can only restore into iPhone again. So if I lose my Mac, and get a Windows computer I won't be able to get my picture because they are in iPhoto. So what I did I also have the pictures in their own folders for this reason.

15. Cisaman69 macrumors newbie

16. Retina13 macrumors newbie

Its cool I highly doubt that. Backing up to my laptop is far superior than storing my info (not even all of it) in a cloud where you get 5gb of free space then you have to pay for more? I payed for my laptop so I'll store everything on there.

17. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Sounds like you never checked out the extremely reasonable prices over at Crashplan?

18. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I'm with you there, but mostly because I'm running Snow Leopard (I.e. no iCloud on the laptop). I'll probably still back up to my MacBook Pro even after I upgrade OSes and can use iCloud. That's what 500 gb hard drives and 1 tb time machines are for :)

19. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

My wife works in the insurance industry, and you would be amazed how often it happens. Not just a fire, but you drop the lap top by accident, or it gets stolen. I think CrashPlan is $45-55 a year, and to me that is worth having my pictures, movies, and music safe. The movies and music I can replace some of it, but it would take month, but pictures would be lost forever.