How do you clean out the vents in the back of the keyboard area

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dimme, Nov 20, 2013.

1. dimme macrumors 65816

Any tips for cleaning out the vents in the back of the keyboard area. I was cleaning my screen on my late 2013 rMBP and a little piece of something fell from the screen and I assume it went into the vents at the bottom. I tried turning over the computer and gently shaking it, but no luck. Would it be safe to use a home vac to try clean it?

2. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

I used to turn my 2009 cMBP over and hit the bottom until dust stopped "falling" out… which is probably why I have random keyboard problems..LOL

I would also unscrew the bottom and clean the inside a few times a year.

I also purchased a USB computer vac that has a really weak suction.. not sure if they're safe to use, but IMO, better than using compressed air, and just blowing the dirt/dust around.

With my new rMBP, I won't be turning it over and hitting the bottom anymore.. probably just use the usb computer vac to keep the dust from building up under the keys.

Mind you, I wash my hands 15+ times a day… Dust still gets in there some how. :confused:

3. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Take the bottom cover off and cotton swab it.

>

4. ano0oj macrumors 6502

5. DayVe3000 macrumors member

I regularly wipe my Mac to prevent build up. Then every now and again I give it a quick blast with a can of compressed air just to make sure the dust is gone.

6. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

Power down, pop off the back cover, and go at the fans with some compressed air.

7. Polyphonie macrumors member

Polyphonie

Exactly. Instead of blowing compressed air in, I'd rather vacuum the dirt and dust out. If you have a good vacuum like a Dyson, just use the nylon bristle attachment (so you won't scratch the MBP chassis) and run it gently around the vent(s). It will suck all the dust in and around the vent.

8. breiti macrumors newbie

Hint: the linked article doesn't vacuum. :)