how do you co-habitate your ipod movies and full size movies?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by cornerdealy, Nov 26, 2007.

1. cornerdealy macrumors regular

I'm going to be getting an iPod classic soon (my first ipod capable of video)

Anyway, at the moment, I have all my movies in itunes, all dvd rips, which are very large in size and resolution. Obviously I will have to convert them for my ipod. But my question is, in order to sync my movies, I will have to have them in itunes...but i will also have my full sized versions of the same movies in there...

I certainly dont want two copies of each movie in my itunes movie library...and I dont wanna move my full lengths to the movies folder cause then I lose the ability to add cover art and such...

what's a boy to do?

2. cornerdealy thread starter macrumors regular

am i missing something here? Is it something really obvious?

3. davekarn macrumors 6502

What's your main concern in regards to keeping the converted movies and getting rid of the full dvd rips? I find that once I rip anything to my Mac, I just watch it from there and am more than happy with how the converted movies look. Convert just one of your movies and see how you like it, is my best advice. Good luck!

4. cornerdealy thread starter macrumors regular

but the movies, when converted to ipod format are all small and no good for full screen viewing on my imac...

5. elistan macrumors 6502a

Hmm... Assuming they're in the proper H.264 format, I thought they were converted to the proper resolution on the fly when being sync'ed with an iPod device that supports video...? Either that, or they're copied to the iPod at full resolution, and the iPod does the best job it can displaying it?

6. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

I just modify the title for the portable copy.

e.g. since I have an iPhone, I just put "(iPhone)" at the end of the title.

7. davekarn macrumors 6502

I haven't noticed any degradation of quality when watching my iPod converted movies on my Mac, I guess it's just preference then.

8. cornerdealy thread starter macrumors regular

well, then can someone please clarify what settings they use to convert the files to ipod quality?

Right now most of them were ripped with handbrake in .mp4 h.264 and are about 700mb-1 gig each

i can use visual hub to convert them.

about what size and resolution should they be?

I'm sorry if this is noob stuff, just using visual hub on normal settings for ipod classic yields a 200 odd mb file that is 320 x 144 resolution

9. motownflip macrumors regular

handbrake has a iphone setting. Use it and u should be all set.

10. Digitalflick macrumors regular

Why convert them again to smaller size? If they are in itunes already, you can sync them with your ipod. I hook my ipod up to my TV and watch movies. Works great.

11. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

It's alright cornerdealy you're not going mental, I just don't think anyone here really understands what you mean! There are lots of appletv threads of people with similar worries though, and unfortunately you are right, full resolution videos wont work on your ipod, although your ipod ripped versions should work everywhere else (albeit in a lower quality). There is no good answer like you might hope, I've often thought about using two itunes libraries to get round this problem somehow, but that isn't really very satisfactory either.

Personally I rip tv shows (which I am likely to watch on my ipod / iphone / portable device) at the "high" ipod setting (640 x 480 h.264), and movies (which I can watch on my imac / :apple:tv / macbook) at the :apple:tv setting (720 x 576 h264). Not a great answer, but one which works for me. I already feel that I may learn to regret this in the future, but hey it's all a learning curve right?

Added cover art should remain embedded in the movie file if you take it out of itunes and into your movies folder (if that's what you end up doing - certainly an option) and should appear in Leopards' coverflow-in-finder-thingy, although sorting options may be reduced by this approach. Try using 'Meta X' to add other less accessible fields (Director / cast / etc.). Remember you can also change the icon of any file to be a bitmap of the cover art, using :apple:i, copy / paste (p.m. me if you need a run-through of this).

Personally I would certainly stick with itunes.

My hope for the future is an answer similar to how Elgato's eyetv handles it-
    two recording kept in one package, allowing access to different versions of the recording depending on who (or what device!) is asking.

Hope this all helps :)

12. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I've put my full size rip movies onto a different part of my system (my network server) .. just that folder alone is 110GB ...

Yet i have not ripped all the movies to iTunes/iPod compatible rips .. :eek:

13. cornerdealy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot, I'm glad to see someone understands me lol. I'd prefer to keep everything in iTunes, like you said, but when I move the files to the movies folder, they dont seem to take the cover art with them for some reason. I just get a screen shot from the beginning of the movie, the same goes for front row, it doesnt show the cover art and then my little description of the movie, it just shows a screen shot from the beginning of the movie. that's it. But I dont know if i'm doing anything wrong here...(i'm adding cover art to the album art section when I get info a movie in itunes)

Personally, I wish you could just sync the movies to your ipod from a folder on your hdd...I wish you didn't have to sync with itunes. If you want stuff in your itunes, cool. That way I could just convert the movies into ipod format and put them on my external (I'm not gonna need to constantly add movies, so it's overkill to have them constantly synced, but I do need to have my music library synced cause that changes all the time.)

14. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Maybe try embedding the art with meta X? I know you can store a movie poster in most movie files (mp2 being a notable exception) this way.

Maybe you should try having two libraries- still sounds a little too complex to me.

There is a thread with library talk here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=384485

Mostly people showing off their libraries but there are some similar questions being asked and some other ideas on the latter pages too.

15. elistan macrumors 6502a

Okay, I'm curious then
    - what format are your rips in? H.264? MPEG2? WMV? ;)
    - what resolution?

iPod Classic video support is as follows:

- H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

- H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

- MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

If your rips aren't MPEG4/H264, the you'll HAVE to convert them no matter what. But that's not a bad thing - depending on your current encoding scheme, the resulting files shouldn't have any degraded quality, yet the file sizes will be smaller. Like I stated about, I'm not sure about resolution being an issue. I suggest doing a straight conversion to H264 on a single movie and preserve the current resolution, and seeing if you can sync to the iPod.

Oh, also, I'm confused about something - you say your rips are in iTunes, but then you say you have issues if you move the rips to the Movies folder. Where else could they be in iTunes except the Movies folder? Not Music, not Podcasts, etc... :confused: