How do you consume your media (movies, TV shows, etc.)?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by applefan289, May 16, 2012.

?

What do you use to consume your media (movies/TV shows) the most?

1. Netflix (or similar)

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. Theater or catch it on TV

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Buy/rent physical media (Blu-ray/DVD)

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. Provider's On Demand service

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I use a all or a combination of the above a lot

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I am just curious how people consume their media. By media, I mean mainly movies and TV shows.

For movies, if it's one I really want to see, I go to the movies. At home, I may use my cable provider's On Demand, or I may buy the Blu-ray if the movie is special enough.

For TV shows, I either buy the physical media (Blu-ray/DVD) or catch it On Demand.

More recently I've used Netflix to fill any gaps the above methods did not accomplish.

2. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Usually go to the cinema if there's a new film I really want to see.

I buy DVDs for really cheap off Amazon, and the odd TV show off iTunes. I watch them all on my MacBook because I'm a student and I didn't want to fork out for a TV licence!

3. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

iTunes is a nice method to get special things you can't get elsewhere, but I don't like how it clogs my computer's hard drive. That's why I like to either stream or have the physical media on a disc so my computer is not affected.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

With fava beans and a nice Chianti?

I think, like most reasonably tech-savvy people, its probably a mix. Roughly 40% live broadcast from my cable provider (is that an oxymoron?); 10% on-demand from cable company; 35% on-demand from Streaming services (Netflix, HBO GO, etc.); 10% from pay/cloud services (AppleTV); and 5% when I break out the ancient DVD discs.

5. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I use netflix, redbox, and theaters for movies, network websites for tv shows or catch them on tv.

6. JSadler macrumors newbie

Mostly Netflex & Redbox. Although we will proly be going to the theater a lot in the coming months, what with all the anticipated movies coming out!

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Cinema for new films (of course. No way I could watch those CAM torrents)
    TV for uk shows, torrent for America (even if we have the shows, I'm not putting myself at risk of spoilers!)
    Pretty much it!

8. malman89 macrumors 68000

I haven't even owned a TV for 3 years. Granted, the first 2 of those years I had roommates and we had a communal TV, but even then we only had cable for one of those years.

I get by with all shades of grey online options. Mostly streaming and stream host sites. I've caught every single NHL playoff game online - NBC streams a fair amount of them, if not I have Euro stream sites. I use stream sites to watch Mad Men, Game of Thrones, The Office, 30 Rock and Community. Only show I watched on a "legitimate" site was South Park at southparkstudios.

I prefer to stream over download and really avoid downloading stuff. There's a stream site for basically everything. Rather put the legal liability on their end than mine.

So none of these options quite work. I mean I do have Netflix, but I mostly use it to go back and watch awesome old shows or an occasional movie.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

From the internet on my computer (not torrented by the way).

10. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

It's about the best available screen. Sometimes I'll watch a show on my iPad before bed, and other times i'll pay the 10 bucks to something at the movies. All depends... all mediums serve a good purpose. Cable TV, Netflix, Hulu, etc all have different offerings at different times.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

12. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

:D I thought thats what you did to get good sleep:p

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Theater, if I have to see it now and can't wait. Otherwise, TV or rent/buy a DVD.

14. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I just upgraded my home theater to a 60" Samsung 1080P LED 8000 Series Smart TV.

I've never had an interest in watching movies on a laptop or other small screen.

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

For movies, we used to buy all our DVDs used at the various rental stores. A few we purchased new, but most were used. We amassed about 325 DVDs this way. 4 for $10...can't be beat. Nowadays, as almost all the video stores have closed shop, we don't do nearly as many movies. If it's a movie I really want to see, I'll go see it at the theater. If I REALLY like the movie, I'll buy it on Blu-Ray. I don't really do much at all in terms of movie streaming or downloading.

TV shows on the other hand...I torrent a lot of them. It's mostly stuff that I would watch at home, but I'm traveling for work and can't catch them when they air, or wait several weeks to catch up on the DVR.

I don't torrent movies, but I have no problem doing it for TV shows.

16. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

iTunes is the only place I buy my movies and TV shows from.

17. ruvil macrumors regular

For me it's neither of them. I download all my movies and tv-series from different torrent trackers and watch them that way on my telly.

18. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Ditto, if there is something I want to see, it has to be on the big screen downstairs. Also sweet TV, I've been willing our old Bravia to die so that we could upgrade to a Samsung, their screens are amazing.

Anyway, it's a mix of Bluray/streaming via Netflix+Lovefilm/watching on Sky or download (for TV shows).

I should kind of feel guilty about downloading, but there is no chance in hell that I'll wait for the UK to get shows like Dexter or the Office when the US gets them so much earlier. Also we usually buy the DVD boxsets when they become available so yeah.

19. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

Where is uTorrent (or similar) ?

Me too.:cool:

20. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I had this problem too, so I split my iTunes library across two hard drives :)

I have all my music/apps/books/podcasts on the hard drive in my MacBook, and all my movies/TV shows on a 500GB external hard drive. I used this guide to do it:

http://www.macyourself.com/2009/04/...-your-itunes-library-across-multiple-volumes/

Very easy to follow and worked like a dream!

21. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

If it's on DVD, that's how I buy it. I can't stand waiting hours upon hours for one TV episode to download, days for a movie. Maybe if there were a decent ISP around here, that would be different. But that aside, then I can't watch it on anything but a computer, except with some VGA to coaxial cable cord. If those exist. Screw that.