How do you deal with a incompetent person?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, May 24, 2017.

1. darksithpro macrumors regular

Not saying anything specific, but if you're forced to deal with an employee, or a leader that is utterly incompetent, what do you do? The person in question has no ill will towards you, the operation, or anyone else. They simply cannot do the required tasks, due to lack of mental, or physical ability. They are ultimately innocent in the sense that they cannot mentally comprehend that they are in the wrong, or doing something nefarious. Do you remove them from the job, put them on the street without a job, or do you just deal with them and hope for the best?

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

usually your in no position to deal with them.

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes. Remove them from the job. The person that hired them should also be looked at for poor judgement as these things are usually quite apparent before hiring. Although sometimes it is the owners of a company themselves that are the problem. I once worked at a company like that. They hired someone completely inappropriate against my advice. She actually thought she was a good fit for the job because she asked her coworkers at her previous job and they said yes. They probably were trying to get rid of her. :D

She didn't last long. But it was a bumpy ride for everyone in the meantime. And a needless one.

4. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

As long as their incompetence does not reflect on me, I let them be. If they are open to suggestions, subtle hints may help them along. I have been in positions where I help the clueless and we all come out ahead. In turn I also am open to advice. None of us are perfect.

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

It would irresponsible and not in the best interest of your company or others within the company to keep them on board. It wouldn't be fair to them either. You hold people to the same standards and evaluate them evenly. It's not that you're removing them from the job, you're releasing them to find one that is in line with the skill set. I would then go back and coach those that hire to come on board.

6. BarracksSi, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017

BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Bob, is that you? I'm really trying my best, bro!

Back in the military, we couldn't just give someone a pink slip and send them out the door. We could do something slightly similar and move them to a different unit or specialty, but they're still gonna get a paycheck.

What I did when I had a less-than-talented individual under my care was do my best to train them and help them grow. Some guys aren't working with a full deck, so I want to give them as many of the cards as I can and help them learn what to do with them. Sometimes it was getting them involved in professional learning courses, and sometimes it was helping them with personal advice as if I were their distant uncle.

Half the job of the military is to kill people and break things. The other half is to give its members an opportunity to learn, grow, mature, and become better contributing members of society. After all, once you get your DD214, you're going to need to do something else besides killing people and breaking things. Even if your next job is a shift manager at Burger King, you'll need to treat your coworkers properly.

On the other side of the coin --

When I had leadership that appeared incompetent, my job was to (1) do my job, (2) try to deflect criticism of that leader, and (3) only criticize that leader one-on-one behind closed doors. It does no good for anyone if I were to create the appearance of a rift between myself and my peers and superiors. It opens the doors for subordinates to say, why should we listen to the boss when even the mid-level guys hate him?

It's not easy, that's for sure. There's a very narrow line between making lame excuses for someone's behavior and dismissing complaints as unfounded (neither of which are good to do).

You are always going to be working with people less competent than yourself. See what you can accomplish by raising them up to your skill level.

7. niploteksi macrumors regular

My opinion is that there's no straight answer to that question. Are you in a position to do anything about it in the first place? Have you correctly identified the problem? My advice is that unless the person is in a position to risk someone else's health etcetera, you take it slow and make sure you don't do anything rash.

8. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Assuming it's not a correctable training issue, then the person should be removed from that job. It doesn't benefit anyone, including the individual, to let him/her flail wildly about in a job that he/she can't do.

9. Macky-Mac, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017

Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the usual way many respond is to give the person a promotion :eek:

10. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If they are your employee, then you have the power to put them out on the street.

If they are a co-worker or a boss, then you deal with them and hope for the best.

12. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

Who hired them? Why were they hired? Fire them both.