How do you deal with those who keeps an eye on your keyboard when you key in your password?

How to deal with those who keep an eye on your keyboard as you type your password?

• Ignore them and continue to type even they can see the password

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Move the keyboard out of their sight without saying anything

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Say Excuse Me and Move the keyboard out of their sight

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Open for suggestions

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Some people, especially colleagues at workplace, likes to keep an eye on my keyboard as I enter my password. If I move away the keyboard, that may be impolite. However, they are the ones who are impolite first. What is the best way to deal with these people? Sometimes I tried to type quickly but then I kept making mistakes. I ended up typing it several times while they were watching.

Healer Flame

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2019
It happened at the ATM not keyboard. That idiot stood behind my right side and kept looking at the screen as i was carrying out some transactions.
I gave him a nasty look and asked whats he looking at. He apologized and stood further behind .
The other one was a guy on a bicycle same story.

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Type every other letter of my password then go back with the arrow keys and add the missing letters.

If anybody seems put off, I ask, "Something wrong?"
Alternatively you could temporarily switch to the Chinese Simplified keyboard and sign in using the touchpad.

Speaking of Chinese. If I notice a coworker seems to be getting more work done than me making me look bad, I switch their pc language to Chinese when they leave their desktop unlocked. Desktop support came to one guy’s desk to help and took one look at it and said, “that ****’s broke” then ordered him a new workstation. He fell way behind.

Reactions: Peadogie

Peadogie

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2019
Georgia, USA
Speaking of Chinese. If I notice a coworker seems to be getting more work done than me making me look bad, I switch their pc language to Chinese when they leave their desktop unlocked. Desktop support came to one guy’s desk to help and took one look at it and said, “that ****’s broke” then ordered him a new workstation. He fell way behind.
BwaHaHa! I like it. :D

Reactions: Gutwrench

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
@hajime I’m sorry, but are we not all grown adults? What’s wrong with communicating your discomfort to them politely yet directly?

I honestly don’t know why you couldn’t just voice your concern and request a little space.
One of them is a senior colleague. He should know that it is not good to keep starring at my keyboard while I was typing my password. Don't want to mess up with him as he has power in my workplace.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I ask them to look away. If you work for a company I am sure they have something stating you are required to protect your password.
If its before my second cup of coffee, I would probably say,tell me your password and I will tell you mine.

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
I’ve never had the issue with password-spying at work since I am retired and have been for a while, but one time I was on an extended trip with someone and we were in rather close quarters at times; I realized one day that she was gazing at my laptop screen and it made me a bit uncomfortable so I shifted positions so that she couldn’t see quite so easily, but I also wasn’t typing in a password or looking at anything that would be questionable or objectionable in any way. One afternoon I noticed this behavior again but this time realized that she wasn’t really focusing on or thinking about whatever it was I was viewing on my screen at the time; she was actually lost in thoughts of her own and her gaze had just drifted to my screen. I know I’ve done the same thing myself unintentionally and it’s not a matter of trying to violate someone else’s privacy at all. Then again, there are the situations where an intent gaze from a coworker or other individual as someone is typing in a password could be problematic indeed......

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
If someone appears to be watching too intently, I throw in a few incorrect characters and backspaces. I'm a bit more careful on iOS devices because the characters show up briefly in plain text as they're entered.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I don't even get what's happening ...

You're sitting at your desk, a cubicle[?], and random coworkers come up to you, you're sitting there, not logged in, and they ask you to perform some task, while they're standing there, that requires you to login and gather some information immediately??

If you're at your desk, why are you logged out (I get security if you're away ...)? Why aren't requests coming in through some controlled channel like email/messaging? What's so critical during normal operations you have coworkers looming around your desk? Why aren't they working? What's the potential mission criticality if a supervisor was to happen to know your password?

What kind of business is this? What branch/department do you work?

** confused **

Reactions: AngerDanger

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
I don't even get what's happening ...

You're sitting at your desk, a cubicle[?], and random coworkers come up to you, you're sitting there, not logged in, and they ask you to perform some task, while they're standing there, that requires you to login and gather some information immediately??

If you're at your desk, why are you logged out (I get security if you're away ...)? Why aren't requests coming in through some controlled channel like email/messaging? What's so critical during normal operations you have coworkers looming around your desk? Why aren't they working? What's the potential mission criticality if a supervisor was to happen to know your password?

What kind of business is this? What branch/department do you work?

** confused **
When I doze off my desktop annoyingly locks due to inactivity. Plus I lock my desktop whenever I walk around to look at the models who work in the building or to take another selfie next my S560. Luckily I use Windows Hello.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
When I doze off my desktop annoyingly locks due to inactivity. Plus I lock my desktop whenever I walk around to look at the models who work in the building or to take another selfie next my S560. Luckily I use Windows Hello.
For strategic, surreptitious dozing, I strongly recommend an office of one's own.

Lack of appropriate (that mid afternoon dip in energy and productivity) dozing opportunities is one of the very many reasons I consider the open-plan office the spawn of Satan.

decafjava

macrumors 68040
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
For strategic, surreptitious dozing, I strongly recommend an office of one's own.

Lack of appropriate (that mid afternoon dip in energy and productivity) dozing opportunities is one of the very many reasons I consider the open-plan office the spawn of Satan.
1000 times yes!!! My former employer moved to new premises - of a new "modern ecological" glass building with a beautiful exterior design - but with transparent glass walls even for those like myself who had our own office to say nothing of the open plan for the interns.

Oh what the heck here it is:

http://www.maisondelapaix.ch/en/

Not saying which organisation :p though I will admit I attended the Graduate Institute many moons ago (which was great).

Now the WMO also has a glass "eco" design but you can open the windows and also the offices have walls or frosted glass.

https://public.wmo.int/en/resources/wmo-building-conference-centre