how do you drop your phone in the toilet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Aug 19, 2008.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

I don't get it. Aren't you sitting on your toilet, thus covering the hole? And even if you aren't covering all of it, don't you usually have your arms resting on your legs and slightly extended out as you play on your phone, thus positioning it away from any openings? And when you get off the toilet, don't you set the phone down first so you can wipe and pull up? How do people do this....drop the phone in? I really don't get it.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

When people stand up and they hold their iPhone in their hand.

3. PredatoryWasp86 macrumors member

my guess: going while standing, then they try to hold it between their head and shoulder while they zip up or whatever and it slips out.

i never take risks like that because i've heard of too many people who have somehow done it

4. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

if you have it in your back pocket, and you bend over to start to pull your pants out, the phone will come out of the pocket a little and fall over the edge right into the toilet. Its NOT a hard thing to do if your a girl and wear tight jeans. I never put it in my back pocket because of that now.

Or, if you stand up with phone in ear/shoulder, and you reach to flush and it slides out.

5. daflake macrumors 6502a

So let me get this right....

You are standing there touching your crotch and urinating while playing with your Iphone ?

Ummm... Does anyone else find that a bit disgusting? Even sitting on the toilet and playing with a device that you are going to put on your face is gross. I mean why not just stick your head in the toilet and be done with it?

:eek::p

6. gibbz macrumors 68030

This germaphobic nation we live in is funny. I guarantee that you touch far worse in the course of a day without knowing it. It is amazing that humans even survived this long without Purell.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Step 1. - Hold iPhone over toilet

Step 2. - Release

:p

8. daflake macrumors 6502a

Not really what I meant.... I am totally against using Purell and any type of product that kills germs on your skin as prolonged use can cause more health problems. That stuff is just not good for folks and doesn't belong in a home. However, I am for washing my hands after I go to the bathroom. If you think that you aren't splashing someones else urine on you while standing there (which probably is growing something at that point) then you are mistaken. It is just gross in my opinion.....

9. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

first off, i dont know about you, but i dont actually fondle myself while going to the bathroom.. Toilet paper is usually between hand an well, ya know..

also, the above guy is right.. if you KNEW what you touched on a daily basis, you would be a LOT more disgusted with that. The bottom of a pocketbook was found to have urine and feces..

Do you ever sit on the floor or touch your carpet with your hand? Because that is also likely to have urine and feces.. Same with bowling balls, hand rails, door handles.

Honestly, if you REALLY cared about germs, your head would explode.

10. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

It might be gross, but its not going to get you sick. Do you know ANYONE who actually got sick from not washing their hands? Or anyone who got sick from shaking hands with someone. Aside from the common cold, it is actually REALLY hard to get sick that way. actually, the MORE you wash your hands, the more likely you are to get sick because you will have a weakened (lazy) immune system)

You are actually a LOT more likely to catch something in a hospital than in a public restroom

11. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Hmm....i usually toss it back in my pants pocket or set it down on the counter before moving.

12. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

for me, its BEFORE I actually go when i am likely to drop it in the toilet.. which is guess is better than after..

I did it twice with my older phones.. now i actually prefer to have my phone IN HAND instead of back pocket

13. daflake macrumors 6502a

Gezzz guys, put words into my mouth much?

I never said it would make you sick. I also, know that I touch a lot worse during the day. I am educated in the medical field.....

Using toilet paper as a barrier is pointless. Might as well grab it with your hand and be done with it.

Lasltly, if you noticed, I had a little emoticon up there that looked like this...:p

That means I was having a bit of a joke. You guys really need to get a grip.

14. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

i'm sorry.. when you mentioned it growing somehting, i thought about illness. Not sure who WOULDNT. i dunno.. my point was that there are TONS of other things to get "grossed out" by that arent sitting on the toilet with your phone in hand/.

15. Ori macrumors 6502

this happened to a friend of mind....yes friend...

Throwing up from alcohol in a public toilet. Phone falls from top pocket right down bowl!
    Other time just straighten up quickly from leaning over to flush and phone flies out straight into bowl. What can I say....phone is no longer kept in top pocket of shirt or jacket for that reason and that reason alone! ;-)

16. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

You need to:

Have iPhone.
    Have young toddlers.
    Have toilet.

Not a good combination.

17. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

why on earth would you ever put your phone in your back pocket? talk about running the risk of just sitting down on it, let alone dropping it in a toilet. bad idea Lindsay.

18. alFR macrumors 68020

Luckily we have this thing called an immune system, I hear it's mostly quite good at dealing with germs.

Er, well, yes - it's full of ill people. Kind of makes sense, doesn't it?

19. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

its not a bad idea when you are a girl and the only pocket it fits in is your back pocket. I could NEVER sit down with a phone in my front pocket. It would probably break it in half.. THAT is why girls usually drop their phone's in the toilet. I can bet that more girls than guys have done it...

20. off in the wood macrumors regular

What? Hospital ER rooms operate in sterilized environments. Unless of course you are in the hospital public bathroom, then and only then would I say you have the same chance of catching something.

I once dropped my old razr in the can whilst urinating. Had the phone wedged in between my ear and shoulder. The slipped right out, and somehow didn't fully submerge. The white dot never turned red. Anyway, stopped using the phone while urinating......

....now if I could just quit that habit with my mba :rolleyes:

21. ayale99 macrumors 6502

Well it works like this: If your phone is in your back pocket, it can slide out while you're dropping your pants. At the right time, your phone will be angled down and fall straight out of your pocket in to the bowl. Being slightly intoxicated will help the whole process along.

Hasn't happened to me but I know a lot of girls that this has happened to. Especially when they're out at the clubs.

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Hospital ER rooms may be sterilized, but the same can't be said for the wards, etc:
    have a look here, here, here, or here

23. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

at hospitals, the surfaces are sterile, but not the air. You run the risk of getting things like MRSAr if you have an open cut or something.. or worse. theres LOADS of things in the air that you can catch

24. off in the wood macrumors regular

No. Hospital rooms are full of ill people (doesn't mean their hosting anything worse than you or me though). ER rooms are almost (can't get them all) completely free

25. joebokeh macrumors member

we need to redesign the toilet... It went from a hole in the ground to a bowl... It needs to account for accidental drops... There's clearly a market for this..