How Do You Get The Folding @ Home Thing To Work!!!???

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
Hey guys,
I donwloaded the folding @ home thing (the grahpical interface one) and typed in the info (macrumors team #, username, etc.). But, how do i get it running. It starts up, but i cant seem to make it do anything. Can anyone give me step by step intructions please?

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
WHAT IS THIS FOLDING @ HOME THING!!!???

WHAT IS IT???

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF IT BEFORE!!

IS THERE A WEBSITE I CAN GO TO, TO SEE EXACTLY WHAT IT IS???!!

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
i got it to work

does it take a long time to finish??

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by G5orbust
i got it to work

does it take a long time to finish??
Depends on which protein you're working on.

If you have a proteinA variety it could take up to a week, especially if you're multi-tasking. Smaller proteins take anywhere from a half-day (on a fast machine) to 2 or 3.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
hey, i wana have it work all the time, without me having to open it all the time. Is there any way i can do that? Is it safe to put it into the start up items folder of OSX?? Would the screen saver version work better is i want it to work like the way I do?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
It's completely safe to add to your Login Items, if you want it to launch when you startup your machine.

Once it's running, just hide it and leave it alone.:)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
you missed this??

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet... The EASIEST way to do folding at home, is to first do some laundry... then fold up the clean clothes.. :D You can get tons of units done in a short amount of time. If you have protein stains on the clothes, you might need to run them through the wash again. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
Re: you missed this??

Originally posted by AlphaTech
I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet... The EASIEST way to do folding at home, is to first do some laundry... then fold up the clean clothes.. :D You can get tons of units done in a short amount of time. If you have protein stains on the clothes, you might need to run them through the wash again. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D
Your sooo damn funny alpha, it scares me.

And may I ask why you have PROTIEN stains on your clothing?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Re: you missed this??

Originally posted by G5orbust
And may I ask why you have PROTIEN stains on your clothing?
I don't have any such stains on my clothing... I was offering it up as advice for the true nerds... :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
I know you dont. They dont even exist. Just doing a little humor taht only the maker of the joke actually gets.