how do you guys transfer photos?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by canwe3, Mar 19, 2013.

1. canwe3 macrumors member

I don't EVER EVER use cloud. I do not trust any company with my data. I hook it up to USB and transfer manually. How do you guys transfer photos?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I either sync with iPhoto or use an app called Photosync, it works great

3. matttye macrumors 601

4. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

PhotoSync, fantastic app. Even works with my NAS.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Image Capture, I think it's insane that people A) give companies full control over their data and B)Somehow think that cloud storage is a viable alternative to local storage.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's insane for anyone to think that their preferences are universal. Do what works for you. Don't assume that it's what's best suited to others. Plenty find cloud storage useful and not everyone uses it is a replacement. Where in the TOS's are these services granted full control? iCloud makes no claim on ownership of content that I can tell, for example.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's probably why I said I think instead of It's and make the personal choice not to use it, but that's cool. If you want to pretend that solely relying on the cloud and then having services go down, regardless of how long, doesn't constitute full control of your data I'm not sure what does.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Correct me if I am wrong (I may be), but if you have iCloud setup in your Mac, doesn't it sync the photos to your Mac on boot up?

10. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

Preview (as someone mentioned above and posted a screen shot). Or PhotoStream. Whenever you're on WiFi at home, it will automatically transfer your pictures into iPhoto, you don't have to do a single thing.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Since we're talking about photo transfers here I think it's pretty clear that the "cloud" storage mentioned is probably Photostream.

Given that the entire point of Photostream is to move the photos TO my local storage and not even keep copies on the server...well, let's say I don't see how your comment applies to that at all.

(I'd agree with you if the topic was Facebook or something like that.)

I don't even erase my phone's camera roll until after I see the photos have made it to my Mac. There is literally no way that a Photostream outage could hurt me.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But using iCloud to sync photos doesn't mean that you rely solely on iCloud to store them. You can set up your Mac or PC to sync photos with iCloud, then all photos you take on your iOS devices are automatically copied to your Mac or PC, and you have a local copy of your photos, over which YOU have full control.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Sorry, looks like we (well, me really) got a little off track there, I was expressing a distaste of cloud storage in general, however even photostream isn't really something I want in my life, for similar but not the same reasons. Anyway, if you want to use it that's more than ok with me, but for myself, I prefer to control what any given content any given company takes from me.

14. Zcev5454 macrumors member

If I sync to iPhoto, does it transfer videos too? Or do I have to do something in iMovie too?

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Both 'iPhoto' and 'Aperture' and 'Image Capture' will all copy Photos and Videos together over USB and store them together.

16. Zcev5454 macrumors member

So all the photos and videos that I sync from my iPhone will appear in iPhoto?

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Just putting this out there: Given that pretty much all current model smartphones both rely on the cloud AND provide at least forms of anonymized usage data to their vendors, you probably shouldn't be using smartphones if you dislike cloud use and data sharing.

Not to mention that e-mail, social networking, and even forums like the one you're reading now, reside in "the cloud."

While I don't think that cloud storage should ever be seen as a full-on replacement for local storage of personal data, I feel that absolutely refusing to use it is not only equally shortsighted, but nearly impossible if you make any use of anything on the internet currently. "The cloud" is just marketing speak for remotely managed and remotely hosted resources... pretty much the very embodiment of what the internet is.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Some of us have Powerbooks and max out at Leopard OSX 10.5.8. :D

So…no iCloud for us. I transfer via Dropbox mainly. And only the images I really care to keep, because most of the images on my iPhone are screencaps or stuff I intend to post to Facebook.

19. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I use Photo Stream with iPhoto. It's the easiest way to upload imho.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

god forbid those terrorist have access to your photos... =/

21. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

iPhoto, Photostream, or DropBox are my options. Sometimes I may use Photobucket, but its rare.