How do you hold your iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blorzoga, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I've had my 5 since launch day and I have to say, I'm still having trouble getting used to the taller screen. My hands are average size and I normally hold my phone in portrait mode with my pinky finger hooked under the phone to prevent it from sliding out of my hand and hitting the floor. The problem with this method is that it is difficult to reach the upper left corner of the screen without releasing my pinky from the bottom. I'm not saying that it's impossible, it's just a stretch. I just wanted to hear other's thoughts on this and whether others are also having this problem.

And please, don't reply with "you're holding it wrong".

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

well according to Apple i hold the way that causes it to have purple photos..

3. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I put it between my toes, and hobble around. That leaves my hands free to do other things.

4. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

I hold my Phone with my right hand with 3 fingers on the left side, my center of my hand resting against the right side and my thumb pressed up against the top right of the phone. My pinky is right below the edge on the left.

5. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I held my 4 with my pinky under the bottom left to prevent the phone from sliding out of my hand. Now that the headphones plug in there, it feels really awkward to either move to the side or underneath the toe right of the wire. I am not liking the placement of the headphone jack on this.

6. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

7. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

8. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I hold my phone in either hand and adjust to accommodate whatever it is that I am doing at that particular moment. Mine didn't come with any instructions.

9. darster Suspended

I don't hold it. I leave it in it's box on a table and stare at it for hours.

10. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

11. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

winning!

12. appswipe macrumors 6502

Thats the best answer you can get.

People act as if "holding a phone" is a conscious and complicated task but Life isnt like Apple commercials where you are worrying about holding it perfectly still or not obstructing the product with your fingers. The reality to the "Art of Holding a Phone" is that you take your 3.5", 4.0" or 4.8" phone and simply "grab it and use it" with zero thought as to "where do my fingers go". (which is also what makes Jobs "youre holding it wrong" comment so fantastic)

And WHEN you encounter a situation where a button is out of range then instead of panicking and making a Genius Bar appointment you simply shimmy your hand until that button becomes in range. This is why Humans are awesome.

13. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

14. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

I hold it the same exact way... but my thumb can reach every inch of the screen. The top opposite corner is the exact length of my thumb. If the screen were wider, I wouldn't be able to reach the other side. It's like the designed the screen aspect ratio and size just for me.

15. Blorzoga thread starter macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

The purpose of my posting this question was not to survey how people hold their iPhone 5 or to imply that there is some correct way to hold it. It was to see whether people were having difficulty reaching all points on the screen with their thumbs while holding it the way they used to hold the ip4.

----------

Congratulations, you're the first (maybe second or third) to actually read the original post and reply intelligently.

16. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

Yay, what do I win? :rolleyes:

17. Blorzoga thread starter macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

My admiration.

18. appswipe macrumors 6502

You are capable of reaching the top opposite corner with your thumb but you are incapable of reaching a slightly wider frame?!? Unless youre a robot then youd be surprised at how much wider of a span you actually have (and youd also be surprised at how much easier typing gets when you increase the keyboard size even the slightest amount).

----------

So you arent looking for opinnions, you are looking for answers that match a result that you predetermined. What an interesting thread.

19. iregret macrumors 6502

20. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I also use the phone with my pinky at the bottom. I just deal with it. I prefer to have a solid grip on my phone.

21. Blorzoga thread starter macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

No, actually, if you could read, you would realize that I'm looking for observations as to whether people can reach all points of the screen comfortably while holding the phone safely. If my thread doesn't interest you, just move on; no need to comment.

22. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

#win

23. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I have held every iphone the exact way you are describing, but for me (small hands) it is not possible with the 5 and still have access to the entire screen. I started holding it like they do in the "thumbs" commercial

http://www.apple.com/iphone/videos/

24. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Why would you have the headphones plugged in and hold it up to your ear at the same time?

25. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

what if he is plugged in and just using the phone....surfing the web, texting, gaming....