How do you hold your iPhone 5?

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
I've had my 5 since launch day and I have to say, I'm still having trouble getting used to the taller screen. My hands are average size and I normally hold my phone in portrait mode with my pinky finger hooked under the phone to prevent it from sliding out of my hand and hitting the floor. The problem with this method is that it is difficult to reach the upper left corner of the screen without releasing my pinky from the bottom. I'm not saying that it's impossible, it's just a stretch. I just wanted to hear other's thoughts on this and whether others are also having this problem.

And please, don't reply with "you're holding it wrong".

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I put it between my toes, and hobble around. That leaves my hands free to do other things.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
I hold my Phone with my right hand with 3 fingers on the left side, my center of my hand resting against the right side and my thumb pressed up against the top right of the phone. My pinky is right below the edge on the left.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I held my 4 with my pinky under the bottom left to prevent the phone from sliding out of my hand. Now that the headphones plug in there, it feels really awkward to either move to the side or underneath the toe right of the wire. I am not liking the placement of the headphone jack on this.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
I hold my phone in either hand and adjust to accommodate whatever it is that I am doing at that particular moment. Mine didn't come with any instructions.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
I hold my phone in either hand and adjust to accommodate whatever it is that I am doing at that particular moment. Mine didn't come with any instructions.
Thats the best answer you can get.

People act as if "holding a phone" is a conscious and complicated task but Life isnt like Apple commercials where you are worrying about holding it perfectly still or not obstructing the product with your fingers. The reality to the "Art of Holding a Phone" is that you take your 3.5", 4.0" or 4.8" phone and simply "grab it and use it" with zero thought as to "where do my fingers go". (which is also what makes Jobs "youre holding it wrong" comment so fantastic)

And WHEN you encounter a situation where a button is out of range then instead of panicking and making a Genius Bar appointment you simply shimmy your hand until that button becomes in range. This is why Humans are awesome.

Ryan.Tanner

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
McKinney, TX
I've had my 5 since launch day and I have to say, I'm still having trouble getting used to the taller screen. My hands are average size and I normally hold my phone in portrait mode with my pinky finger hooked under the phone to prevent it from sliding out of my hand and hitting the floor. The problem with this method is that it is difficult to reach the upper left corner of the screen without releasing my pinky from the bottom. I'm not saying that it's impossible, it's just a stretch. I just wanted to hear other's thoughts on this and whether others are also having this problem.

I hold it the same exact way... but my thumb can reach every inch of the screen. The top opposite corner is the exact length of my thumb. If the screen were wider, I wouldn't be able to reach the other side. It's like the designed the screen aspect ratio and size just for me.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010

The purpose of my posting this question was not to survey how people hold their iPhone 5 or to imply that there is some correct way to hold it. It was to see whether people were having difficulty reaching all points on the screen with their thumbs while holding it the way they used to hold the ip4.

----------

I hold it the same exact way... but my thumb can reach every inch of the screen. The top opposite corner is the exact length of my thumb. If the screen were wider, I wouldn't be able to reach the other side. It's like the designed the screen aspect ratio and size just for me.
Congratulations, you're the first (maybe second or third) to actually read the original post and reply intelligently.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
You are capable of reaching the top opposite corner with your thumb but you are incapable of reaching a slightly wider frame?!? Unless youre a robot then youd be surprised at how much wider of a span you actually have (and youd also be surprised at how much easier typing gets when you increase the keyboard size even the slightest amount).

----------

Congratulations, you're the first (maybe second or third) to actually read the original post and reply intelligently.
So you arent looking for opinnions, you are looking for answers that match a result that you predetermined. What an interesting thread.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
So you arent looking for opinnions, you are looking for answers that match a result that you predetermined. What an interesting thread.
No, actually, if you could read, you would realize that I'm looking for observations as to whether people can reach all points of the screen comfortably while holding the phone safely. If my thread doesn't interest you, just move on; no need to comment.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I have held every iphone the exact way you are describing, but for me (small hands) it is not possible with the 5 and still have access to the entire screen. I started holding it like they do in the "thumbs" commercial

http://www.apple.com/iphone/videos/

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Why would you have the headphones plugged in and hold it up to your ear at the same time?

Now that the headphones plug in there, it feels really awkward to either move to the side or underneath the toe right of the wire. I am not liking the placement of the headphone jack on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.