How Do You Justify It?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HunnieBunnie, Sep 7, 2014.

1. HunnieBunnie macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to this site and to iphones. I just ordered an iphone 5s 64GB from an individual for $550 shipped. It should arrive next week. It is factory unlocked, and I plan to use it on Cricket Wireless.

I realise version 6 will soon be available, but I concluded that it will likely cost $800 or more for iphone 6 with 64GB's worth of storage, so I opted for a brand new 5s for a much lower price. It makes good economic sense to me.

My question is why would anyone who purchased a 5s at the time it first came out now want to spend close to $1K for iphone 6 just a year later just to have the newest model? How do you justify it?

2. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

How do you justify spending $550 on a phone? To each his/her own. Some people have the means to pay for a brand new smartphone every year, and enjoy getting the latest technology. Debates about the relative worth of material purchases are endless.

3. megapopular macrumors 6502a

It's just money for some people, what's the big deal? And beyond that, my used iPhone 32gb 5S can easily sell for about $500 so the cost of a new iPhone 6 is very negligent. Some of us aren't worried about the money, though. I won't.

4. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

A lot of iPhone users usually do it every 2 years (iPhone 5 to 6, iPhone 4S to 5S...) but you should also remember that iPhones (or any Apple product) have very high resale value.

5. Xeyad macrumors 6502

Last time I bought an iPhone was in 2011, when the 4S first launched. It was expensive, but I had some sweet time with it, and after 3 years, I feel like I have used it for long enough and I enjoyed my experience with it for as long as possible. So I can totally justify myself buying a new iPhone (hoping for the 5.5" version) and keep using as much as I used the 4S, and maybe even more. I wouldn't mind paying even $1000 if the phone's experience is what I'm looking for.

If you can't justify it, doesn't mean other people can't. Some people change their phone every year, and if they can justify it for themselves, then good for them. :)

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I tend to do every other upgrade, as you don't get such a big change in performance from one to the next. Especially the s model.
    But how do you justify owning a car or going on expensive holidays?
    Everyone's different.

7. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

Money is no object for some people. I buy multiple iPhones every year when they start to get too scuffed up. I don't use a case and want to have a good looking phone. This 5s is the longest I've ever had an iPhone though, so I'm excited to get the 6.

8. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Because...it doesnt cost that much in the end. I get the new iphone every year and it basically cost nothing on top of the original one i purchased in 2007.

This is how you do it.. We will use the 16gb as the example, even though i get the 64gb every year. It works out the same since the resale value scales the same.

Year One : Sign up for new contract, buy iphone for $199.00
    Year Two : Sell iphone for $450, buy new one for $650 full retail.
    Year Three: Buy iphone again for $199, sell old for $450.. You just made $50 from the 1st iphone you bought the 2yrs earlier.

Rinse and repeat...I have done this every single year and it works flawlessly. You can only do this with iphones though as they hold there value. The only crappy part now is that the subsidy plans are now tacking on $40 access for if you use the subisdy pricing. So i am now starting all over this year and going to move the NEXT plan which has only a $15 access fee per phone. I will need to fork over the price for full retail on the AT&T next plan. So this what i will do.

Year One: Buy the 64gb for $849(if it keeps the same price scale) Sell my current 64gb 5s for about $500,
    Year Two : Do the same..So each year i guess I am losing about $300-$350 but that is perfectly fine with me to upgrade to the latest and greatest. But if i use the subsidy pay plan I pay $25 more per month which equals $300..So technically you will break even every year.

9. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

As others mentions it, we don't get a new iPhone every year. And more importantly we don't pay almost full retail price for an iphone that would probably be almost free in a couple of days, what you did is totally against what many people do in order to buy/justify/invest in a 'new' iPhone.
    If you can return it or resell it go for it, and with the same amount of money and probably even less you can get the same or newer one.

Grandfathered unlimited contract with AT&T plus 0% interested BestBuy credit card do the trick for some of us.

10. CEmajr macrumors 601

In addition to the high resale of older iPhone models to pay for part of the new one like others have mentioned, it's also important to note that you will probably be using your iPhone all day everyday for the next year or so. A device that you get that much usage out of is worth the price to many people.

11. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

oVerboost

To the OP, did you order the phone from Apple?

$550 for a brand new 5s isn't too bad, HOWEVER you'd of been able to pick up "as new" used ones for maybe even half that in a few weeks or so.

I get the latest and greatest iPhone every 12 months (in the UK) and I am never out of pocket really, as I usually get the phone free from my network provider and then sell the outgoing device for £300 ($490) which then spread out over the 12 months of my contract pays the majority of my line rental which includes unlimited texts, 4GB data and unlimited calls. So the ownership of the device is never really a large outlay as the years worth of ownership, services etc don't cost too much more for what I get in return from it. I always think about buying the device from Apple, but fortunately I get a good deal from my Network provider for having numerous accounts with them so I'm happy to keep playing the same game.

And going back to the original question, owning the latest model is the point here. Same with new cars, new clothes, new anything that isn't disposable really, if you can afford the latest model why wouldn't you want it? Remember it's a LOT more than a phone these days, a lot of people depend on their iPhones for so much more, iPod, Internet, Emails etc. It is Mobile laptop really... and for what it can do, the price is worth it to me, yes there are cheaper options but I like the iPhone experience, and I like the new iPhone experience each year.

Based on your own question, why did you not buy an Android device? It does basically the same as a 5S can, but is a lot cheaper...

12. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Not having monthly $500 car payments is a good way to be able to afford new tech. iPhones and iPads cost significantly less than cars and vacations. Right now though, I'm wanting the vacation more so probably no new tech for me. :(

13. mlody macrumors 6502a

I am on a fence about iPhone 6. I guess I have to wait till Tuesday and then to actually feel/hold it before making an upgrade decision.

If I happen to like iPhone 6, I will get it, and then automatically my family will also get hand me down upgrades, so my wife would get my 5S, my daughter would get my wife's 5 and my daughters 4S would most likely end up on e-bay or craigslist where is still can sell for $250 or about.

When I look at this from this perspective, $400-$450 spent gives everyone in the family upgraded phone - it is a win-win for everyone.

14. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

For any smokers out there, I'll bet that quitting could open up a whole new revenue stream. :D

15. HunnieBunnie thread starter macrumors member

Gee, some of the replies to my post sounded like they thought I was trying to start an argument. I was simply asking why people feel the compulsion to purchase a new phone every year. I purchased my MacBook three years ago, and it still does everything I want it to do, so I have no plans to replace it for quite some time. I will do the same thing with the phone. To me, that works and makes sense. If anyone else wants to purchase a new phone every single year, that is fine by me. I am not paying for it. I was simply asking why.

16. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

I gave up smoking about 5 years ago and save the money in a jar, I bust it open every year and it gets me a new iPhone.

17. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

There's no way to justify it.

People will spend their money how they want to.

18. HunnieBunnie thread starter macrumors member

I was not trying to start an argument. I was simply asking why someone does it. By the way, my vehicle is more than 25 years old, and I have not gone on a vacation in many years. Some people live in a budget and have to weigh their decisions carefully. The reason I purchased my iphone 5s is because I have a MacBook Air that will sink with it, and I plan to keep the phone for several years. For the record, I would not have purchased a new phone at all at this time, but my carrier switched its network from CDMA to GSM, thus my old smart phone will no longer work on any network out there as it cannot be unlocked. If this had not happened, I would have continued to use my old phone until it failed mechanically.

----------

I will not use ATT, Verizon, etc. I pay only $40 a month for unlimited phone, Internet, texts. I see no reason to double my monthly phone bill by signing on with ATT and the rest that charge $80 or more and put you under a contract.

I do not believe for one second that anyone is going to be able to buy a brand new 5s with 64GB for almost nothing in a few days, either.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Everyone has different needs, wants, habits, lifestyle, income, expenses and priorities that's all.
    To you and others might seem like a very silly idea to keep getting the newest iphone each year. To others its not silly or stupid and they can do whatever they want with their money obviously.
    What makes sense and feels right or wrong to you is completely different to others with different life situations and way of life than yours.
    Why would you even care or ask others to explain to you why and how they do what they decide to do with their own money?

20. HunnieBunnie thread starter macrumors member

At this point, I am not only sorry I asked the question, but I am also sorry I joined the forum. I think there are more very young people here than there ar older folks. No one I know in my life would make the sort of responses many made to my question. Many of you sound not just unfriendly but rude.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sorry for you.
    Not sure exactly what you wanted to hear or what responses you were looking for.
    Just like people drive different types of cars.
    Some get around with a toyota corolla and honda accord while others have a BMW, Mercedes, Porche etc...
    Are the ones driving around with expensive cars dumb or stupid because that doesn't makes good economic sense to you?

22. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

23. CEmajr macrumors 601

I don't see what's rude about what he said. People have different levels of income and different priorities on what they deem worthy of spending their money on. Some may get enough use out of an iPhone that they feel it's worth the high prices, others may opt for an older device like a 4S or 4 and be content if that meets their needs.

People with disposable income are going to have something that they don't necessarily need but enjoy and find themselves willing to spend money on. You're on an Apple/Mac fan forum so you shouldn't be surprised that many here find Apple products worthy of spending lots of their money on.

24. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I doubt there are many 5S 64gb owners that will be buying a 6 64gb this year. Most of us do the 2 year, $199 upgrade cycle.

25. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

I think you are wrong about that. I am one of those upgraders and there are many more especially on these tech forums. Gotta have the latest and greatest. It's even easier now with the Next program. :)