Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
In iOS 10 I would often keep Twitter or Facebook in 70/30 split view mode. When I switched apps if the app supported split view it would just snap into place leaving Twitter or Facebook there on the right hand side. Now it seems you can’t have a persistent second app that’s always snapped to the side. For example if I have Safari snapped with Twitter and then drag another app in place of Safari Twitter goes away and I have to re-snap it. Once I do that Twitter is then associated with that app and if I drag Safari back it becomes full screen. Is there a way to get that iOS 10 behavior back in iOS 11?

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
It worked for me, but with Apple's apps so it might just be twitter and Facebook causing issues.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
It worked for me, but with Apple's apps so it might just be twitter and Facebook causing issues.

Hmm...seems to be it’s working now. Phew. Still trying to figure out how do split view with an app not in the dock. That’s doesn’t seem easy to do.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Hmm...seems to be it’s working now. Phew. Still trying to figure out how do split view with an app not in the dock. That’s doesn’t seem easy to do.

It’s perhaps not immediately obvious how to do that, but, once you know and have done it a few times it’s quite easy.

Lets say you’re already looking at the first app you want in split in full screen. To get one that isn’t on the dock: -

- Home button to return to home screen and find the app
- Pick up app for drag with long press and hold it
- Slide up from bottom (a long enough slide to engage multitasking, not just the dock)
- Drag icon over first app as you would if it was from the dock

Spotlight search should work without even leaving that first app too but it’s a bit buggy right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.