How do you keep pics, movies etc from being drag-copied off your iWeb site?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Soundhound, May 18, 2009.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

I have a site of some of my work up (still password protected, I'm just getting ready to show it to people, etc.) , and I noticed that I can just grab anything off the site and copy it to my desktop. Pics, movies, mp3s, pretty much anything,

Is there a preference or some way to set up the site, that won't permit things to be copied off that way?
    I'm using iWeb '09, btw.

thanks!

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Not really... for pics they can take a screen shot and audio they can use something like Wiretap Studio... I'm sure there are ways for movies also. Basically, if somebody wants it, they'll get it. Don't waste your time. At best maybe watermark the stuff.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There are methods, though they will generally involve more editing than you can do effectively in iWeb, but keep in mind that none of them are really foolproof. Your best bet is to not put anything up online that you'd rather not have downloaded. Put low-quality version of images, short previews of audio/video, etc. It's really just the nature of the internet.

jW

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You can add a message to the page asking very nicely not to steal the images :D

As others are saying, if the user can see it, they already have it. The Internet is a public arena. I've bypassed many web site attempts to stop it and it really doesn't slow me down in the least. You can also add a copyright notice for the images. That way, if someone tries to reproduce the images without consent and they live in a location that your legal system can over you could take legal action against them. It's rarely needed though.

Watermarks are the most effective since it physically edits the image. It turns most people off, though can reduce the quality of the image in terms of viewing.

5. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Blocking a right-click menu is not only irritating but interferes with the usability of the browser (both bad ideas).

Check out certain permissions-denied photos on Flickr, as well as photos of actors on IMDB.com - both use methods to block drag-copying. Basically, it's either FIR or you overlay an invisible GIF over the top using CSS.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

No matter what you do if it can be seen in a web browser it can be saved. Notice how I worded that. You CAN prevent people from seeing the images by passwording them.

But there is no way you can prevent some one from saving what he can see. You can use tricks to make it harder but in the end an educated user can save anything he can see.

7. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Here's something you can do: Create DIVS the size of your image, give them a unique ID an use your image as a background-image. This will force the user to go see your CSS file to know the URL of the image.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Unless you use Firefox and have the option to view background image with just a right-click.

9. wheelhot macrumors 68020

recently I visited a blog page which has right click disabled only when you hover your mouse over the photo, this is a pretty good solution if you ask me, of course the person loses the freedom to view the image in a larger size but its a good not obstructive attempt, I do recommend like how the other says, upload the low res of optimized for web viewing and add watermark, they will go nutz trying to upsize it and thinking how to remove the watermark. Must be real desperate if willing to go through that extend :rolleyes:

10. wheelhot macrumors 68020

bootedbear, good example except that is wayyy too much, too much till I would say if the photographer is going to that extend, might as well not post the photo, I always place my watermark at the left lower end, right lower end, left upper end or right upper end.

I'll try to choose the most unobstructive way so that people can still enjoy my photo and not being able to steal it :)

11. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

On the other hand, I can see why bootedbear might go to that extent. A watermark placed unobtrusively in a corner is rather easy for a resourceful thief to crop out and still leave a usable photo.

12. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Yup, you are right, but wouldn't it look odd a photo that has been cropped poorly just to remove the watermark?

13. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

To us and many other people, yeah. Unfortunately, there are people who will use whatever they find in Google Image Search and crop to fit their needs.

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Slices can make it a pain in the ass to steal photos...while not intended for the purpose, they can deter the casual thief who doesn't want to reassemble a photo. Photoshop/Imageready will make them quite easily, though I'm not sure about other software...