How do you know your being throttled ATT?

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I got the text saying over the 3GB for the month but does that mean I being throttled automatically? Even if I am how would I know? What is the experience like? Is it all the time?

What if I am under 5 GB for LTE will get throttled on 3G but be fine for LTE. Then once over 5 GB does ATT throttle LTE as well. Is there a difference between throttling LTE and 3G.

I generally don't go over but I left Music Match on with cell phone DL thousands of song so put over the limit and next day I get text. So I am wondering what to expect?

(Thank God still have the unlimited data plan or I be in trouble)

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
If you cant notice why does it matter:confused:
oh I am noticing which is scary part but wondering if will have better speeds on off hours..
DL .55 Mps and UL 1.00

But goes almost to DL 3.0 and then as test goes on back off to .50 by the end..

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Is there any negative with now continuing to download data if you have been throttled? Can it get any worst?

AMDENCO

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2010
I get throttled every month and to be honest I never notice a difference in browsing or streaming music. I am usually between 7gb- 10gb usage a month. Throttling does not stop me from consuming data..

AMDENCO

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2010
I can confirm./ When att started this throttling, they said you would get one warning of throttle then never again for future.

I'm at 5680.09 MB for this month and have 14 days left to go. I only received one text that I was over 3 GB for month.

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I can confirm./ When att started this throttling, they said you would get one warning of throttle then never again for future.
Well I got a text before maybe two months ago when I got my iphone replaced and again had reload my Music Match contain that always takes me over the limit. So you do get more then one txt message. I am guessing you get one once a month once over the limit.

Last edited:

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I get throttled every month and to be honest I never notice a difference in browsing or streaming music. I am usually between 7gb- 10gb usage a month. Throttling does not stop me from consuming data..
any difference from LTE and 3G? I am guessing not..

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
any difference from LTE and 3G? I am guessing not..
no, you get about 300-500 kbps (.3-.5 mbps) when throttled. no matter if its a 3g (>3gb) or 4g phone (>5g)

you can still use streaming on lower quality spotify etc, browsing the web will be slower but not impossible. Netflix is possible, just have to buffer a lot.
Its a pain in the arse but i would get about 5-6 gb a month on my ATT iphone 4s.

Now i am on verizon and there is NO throttling on 4g devices wahoooo..(was able to trade a sucker my att unlimited for his verizon)
sorry it rub it in, im just excited.

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
no, you get about 300-500 kbps (.3-.5 mbps) when throttled. no matter if its a 3g (>3gb) or 4g phone (>5g)

you can still use streaming on lower quality spotify etc, browsing the web will be slower but not impossible. Netflix is possible, just have to buffer a lot.
Its a pain in the arse but i would get about 5-6 gb a month on my ATT iphone 4s.

Now i am on verizon and there is NO throttling on 4g devices wahoooo..(was able to trade a sucker my att unlimited for his verizon)
sorry it rub it in, im just excited.
Is this what other people experienced when being throttled on ATT? Also this isn't being throttled with LTE that is with ATT 4G. Could be different. I don't care too much because this isn't a normal situation just been loading my music in iphone 5 and eating up the bandwidth because of it.

gopnick

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Some of your throttled speeds are as good as I ever get in some metro areas on AT&T 4G without being throttled at all. :mad:

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Is this what other people experienced when being throttled on ATT? Also this isn't being throttled with LTE that is with ATT 4G. Could be different. I don't care too much because this isn't a normal situation just been loading my music in iphone 5 and eating up the bandwidth because of it.
what are you talking about, i said 3g device are 3 gb, and lte is 5gb. They BOTH have the same throttled speeds of .5mpbs sometimes .6 mbps.. wahooo 600kbps. :mad:

----------

Some of your throttled speeds are as good as I ever get in some metro areas on AT&T 4G without being throttled at all. :mad:
i think you are miss reading what i said.. 500 kbps not 500kb/s completely different things.

if you are only getting 500kbps .5 mbps on your hspa network.. something is terribly wrong.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
Well I got a text before maybe two months ago when I got my iphone replaced and again had reload my Music Match contain that always takes me over the limit. So you do get more then one txt message. I am guessing you get one once a month once over the limit.
no...you get a warning text that you COULD be throttled then you get a text warning you that you ARE throttled...after the throttle text they don't warn anymore...they just slow you down when you go over and it is IMPOSSIBLE not to notice the difference in speed