How do you like my climate change now?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Jun 9, 2011.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Tornadoes tearing up the country, historic floods on the Mississippi, wildfires raging in Arizona, a heatwave across the country in early June.

Any fence sitters coming to the realization that climate change is upon us?

Any deniers still adamant that it's all a left-wing hoax?

2. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

It is a conspiracy to collect money that should supposedly towards helping victims but then actually goes to unions and funding "Obamacare." :D

People won't believe in climate change till it's too late.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

It's not as hot out today, therefore, global warming is a hoax.

4. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Not agruing agianst climate change since I do believe that it is happening but a single year or even a small group of years is not valid. This is an odd ball year and it I believe it is either an elnino or laninia year which means likelihood of abnormal weather is greatly increased.

6. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

While I more or less agree with you it's important that we do not imagine that single events somehow equate to proof of climate change.

This is a very gradual long term processes yearly variations are not indicative of this long term change.

While conservatives are happy to proclaim that a cold winter or a few snow storms mean that global warming is a lie.

Liberal thinkers should hold themselves to a higher standard of intellectual integrity.

^^^
    What he said :p

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yeah, cause we never had any years with crazy climate paterns. The climate has never changed drastically EVER until mankind invented cars. Come one. Stop the blame game and just worry about if the climate is changing, how it is, how it will affect mankind and what we should do to minimize the damage to our way of life. The climate has changed before during mankind's short lifespan on earth, we lived through it before, we can do the same now. Who really cares what caused it, you can't unring a bell.

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I was reading the other day that this is the worst tornado outbreak in 40 years which means it has happened before. Wars happen, weather changes happen, disease outbreaks happen etc... It's all cycles. Maybe we are rushing its change but for someone who really believes in science like yourself I can't imagine you would think this little bit of change proves something. Let's see what happens in 1,000 years and see if it truly was a change due to us.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Or how it will damage any number of other species of plants and animals.

You can stop belting away at it with your clapper. And everyone should care what caused it, as with much of science that guides the solution.

Science has already provided the answer. The evidence points to the fact that we are contributing. Waiting 1000 years will not accomplish anything besides apathy. There is nothing to be lost by switching to cleaner sources of energy in the long term.

10. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

So, had this been a year devoid of such extreme activity, would your two rhetorical questions have been the same? (And no, my question is not rhetorical.)

P.S. Your title's rhetorical question makes you sound dang-near giddy about the destruction of late. Was that intentional, or a Freudian slip? (And yes, that was rhetorical.)

11. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree. It's a mistake to take any single event as proof. But what we've been seeing over the past couple of decades is more than that. We're seeing multiple sources of information that corroborate the notion that the climate is changing.

I'm really curious about the question of when does the preponderance of evidence tip the scales? I'm sure some of you folks haven't seen enough of that evidence yet. But that's what I'm really getting after here. Have the scales tipped for you yet? If so, what finally convinced you? If not, what still weighs against it?

Who is playing the "blame game"? :confused:

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Every step we take (Recycling, emissions, solar power and wind power, reusing waste etc) will help but it doesn't mean it will stop it from occurring. Weather patterns change historically. So to say "look at all the tornadoes and floods! It was us, climate change exists!"... well yes it exists but not in the Al Gore sense IMO.

13. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Yesterday, in Wichita Kansas, at 12:00 midnight, there was a "heat burst" raising the temperature 20degrees in minutes. It went from 80 to 102.

amazing

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That solar flare would not be so regionalised. :p

But it puts me in mind of The Day After Tomorrow, when deep space temperatures find their way to the surface of good ol' Mother Earth. :eek:

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It was an unusual la Nina year, although not unheard of. Here in California the Sierra Nevadas had 270% of normal snowpack and all the reservoirs are already full to the brim. We'll have high water in the rivers until fall.

I read recently though that the Arctic Oscillation was greater than normal this year. Evidently the phenomenal ice melt in the Arctic results in much greater snowfall than normal and was responsible for California's much wetter than normal winter and spring.

16. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I believe that scale has already tipped.

I'm just opposed to attributing single events to climate change because it sets a bad scientific president. If you were to show me a 50 year table of climate events (tornadoes, blizzards, hurricanes) etc. I would call that good information.

I'm just opposed to picking a handful of events and hoisting those as "the conclusive set of events" proving climate change. Simply because using a tiny handful of samples is bad science not matter how you slice it.

17. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Nope ... the earth has gone through weather spans like this for millions of years

18. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Of course it is.

But people generally don't form personal opinions based on the proper science methods, we're usually a little more intuitive.

I think it would be a mistake to put too much into my OP as being non-scientific. It was simply a way to start a discussion.

See? Like here. Little science ... lots of intuition.

Intuition alone really can lead one astray.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

So, you have missed the soil/rock/ice cores, and the History they contain?

Well before the last 2,000 years, and, what, ~400 life-times?

20. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

how would you know what the weather was like 1,000s of years ago?

common sense tells me the earth has been there/done that in the past ... this climate is nothing new or a sign of climate change.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Do you have any clue about the science on climate change? Honest question.

Do you know what an ice core sample is, for just ONE example of many different methods of studying the climate of the past?

I'm just wondering if you've put any research into the topic or if its an issue that just doesn't connect with you.

22. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The OP is talking about a couple of months of weather ... if you read my posts ... I have stated that the Earth has had this type of weather thousands of times before ... this is not a sign of climatic change. ... just typical Earthly weather

nice try though

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

To borrow from your other post, in regards to the underlined:

"how would you know what the weather was like 1,000s of years ago?"

Yes the OP was incredibly misguided, but I thought the topic had moved to actual discussion at that point.

24. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

What type of weather are you talking about? The fact that some days are hot and some days aren't? Some days it rains and some days it snows?

Yes, the Earth has had those types of conditions before.

However, can you point to a time where the Earth has had the conditions that we're experiencing today? And I don't mean heat waves, tornadoes, floods or wild fires, I mean high amounts of CO2 in the atmosphere that didn't lead to warming?

Unfortunately too many of you can't recognize a conversation starter from a hole in the ground. :rolleyes:

25. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Again I will state ... simple common sense will tell you the Earth has seen this weather thousands of times in the past ... the Earth is 4.5 billion years old