How do you over clock the GPU in the new Macbook Pro 15inch 2011 ATI 6750m

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rotsu, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Rotsu macrumors member

In Windows, how do i over clock the ATI GPU in the new macbook pro? I would like to push the GPU a little put to increase my FPS in games(I like to play games at 60+ FPS). Seems the GPU is a little bit of a bottleneck.

2. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

The 64XX is the **** end of the stick for graphics. Especially in a laptop with limited cooling.

The ATi (I refuse to refer to it as an AMD) Catalyst tool may have basic OC for mobile GPUs that will get a little performance. I use this on my desktop 5870 in my gayming rig, it isn't the best but I get some extra juice without melting the core.

My advice would be to lower your screen resolution, lower textures (Anti-aliasing is best start) for a smoother game.

3. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

MSI Afterburner

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Let us all know how it goes.

4. Tamasi macrumors member

Related question;
    Would somewhat underclocking the 6750 result in noticeably less noise and most importantly heat? I'm actually considering doing this as I'm not a gamer anyway and rather be able to have my MBP comfortably on my lap instead of getting maximum (graphics) performance. What do you think?

5. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

Underclocking will always reduce power draw and lower operating temps.

Also re-applying the thermal paste properly will lower temps pretty significantly too: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1105643

6. Tamasi, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

Tamasi macrumors member

Cool! Any idea how many degrees (Celsius) cooler the GPU may run when underclocked? (e.g. Might one say something like 'each 10% under clocked, typically results in like ... degrees Celsius lower running temperatures?'. 5 degrees per 10% maybe? Or doesn't it work like that?)

Actually slightly considering reapplying the termal paste too... Yet up until now I never got further than replacing HDDs and RAM, so currently doubting whether it's worth possibly voiding my purchased Apple Care

Edit
    1. also check this post wrt thermal paste: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12023983&postcount=10

2. Just read under and overclocking apparently also voids Apple warranty...

7. akhbhaat macrumors regular

I would not recommend overclocking the GPU in a mobile platform. The benefits are marginal at best even in a desktop with superior cooling.

8. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

The thermal paste will definitely void your warranty. I'd leave it especially if you got AppleCare.

It's hard to tell how much cooler it would run. Ambient temperatures and workload are main factors contribute to temps. Thermal paste and even the quality of the yield.

I'd loosely estimate that reducing the core clock by 10% would net you maybe 3-4 degrees from my experience.

Mind you, I live in Australia. And around summer, everything melts. I have to reduce the overclocking on my gayming rig. No matter how good the Noctua D14 can cool.

9. billgates99 macrumors regular

did you try using the AMD clock tool? (I suppose it will only work in bootcamp)

it depends on which game I'm running, but i have the 5830M in my laptop and I'm usually able to use this tool to overclock quite a bit to 550MHz (clock) / 1125 MHz (core) without crashing.

Overclocked, my 3Dmark06 score is around 10980

at stock clocks, my 3Dmark06 score is around 9000

10. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

I used Catalyst. Clocks performed in Windows will stay in Windows and won't transfer to OS X.

11. Rotsu thread starter macrumors member

I would really like to see someone who successfully overclocked the HD6750 and got a reasonable better benchmark scores for the GPU. I don't have one yet, otherwise i would do it :(

12. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

you do realize this thread is regarding the 6750m, not 64xx

13. Rotsu thread starter macrumors member

So did anyone try to overclock the ATI GPU in the new Macbook pros yet?

14. imperialnavy macrumors regular

I tried that, but none of the programs at hand seem to recognize the gpu or its clocks properly... Looks like an update is needed.

15. DudeMartin macrumors regular

Well if you want graphics to run cool you need to use the Intel graphics rather than the dedicated ones. For example, if you are playing Team Fortress 2 - you can easily get by using the Intel graphics on Medium settings, in fact, that is what I do on my 13". I've never owned a 15" so I don't know how 'force' the computer to use only one of GPUs, but I know it is possible.

16. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Install this:

http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

And you can tell it to use the integrated chip whenever you want. No guarantees you'll get it cooler or have more battery life, though. If you're not doing anything intensive, it doesn't seem to matter much either way which one you use.

17. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

@Tamasi
    a.) It doesn't really void your warranty because they cannot really proof it. Especially under clocking can only make a platform unstable but not do any serious damage.
    Over clocking is fairly save too if you are smart about it.
    b.) If you want a cooler Notebook in OSX just force the Intel GPU with gfxCardStatus. Intel works for pretty much anything in OSX fast enough except very little professional software and modern games.
    c.) If you run Windows (which doesn't allow switching to Intel) underclocking won't do you any good unless you game on your lap. In Idle 2D mode on the Windows desktop the card under clocks itself the same as a CPU in Idle (2,X -> 800Mhz). Underclocking the maximum clock rate by 10% would only reduce heat output in games. Still it might not transfer into a cooler notebook because unless the fans run at 6000rpm they will simple reduce speed and hold the same temps as before. It might just be a less noise notebook but not a cooler one.
    Unless your gaming the GPU will probably never ramp up to full speed. default or max might be somewhere around 600Mhz. Idle is probably 150Mhz. and there are probably 2 steps in between at 250 and 350.

18. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Get this free app and turn off the dedicated GPU until you need it.

http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

19. lewdvig macrumors 65816

beat me to it
    :D