Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
I have an iPhone 4S on T-Mobile and only have access to Edge(2g) speeds right now. I'm okay with this because I only pay $30 a month for my plan.

I ran some tests today on the Speed Test app with a friend of mine who has an Evo 3D. My speeds on 2g were faster than his on 3g every single time. We ran this test in 3 different areas of Raleigh.

How do you people pay Sprint every month for data and just accept this crappy service? It's just unbelievable to me that people would pay this and not completely go ******* crazy.

thomasanderson

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Dude I totally agree! I have been trying to get my contract canceled early by retention for the last 6 months. Sprints service has gone from acceptable to abysmal here in MI. I cant wait until my ETF's have prorated themselves down to about $100 so I can bolt!

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Dude I totally agree! I have been trying to get my contract canceled early by retention for the last 6 months. Sprints service has gone from acceptable to abysmal here in MI. I cant wait until my ETF's have prorated themselves down to about $100 so I can bolt!

You can sell your iPhone on Craigslist and Ebay and have enough to pay the ETF. If you have a 16gb 4S, you should be able to get $375-$400 easy.

Just remember that if you're going to cancel, cancel by the end of your billing cycle or Sprint will stick you with another month of charges. They don't prorate like Verizon does.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I love my unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile, I get the Sprint experience for a lower price :D.

(Soon to be upgraded (as TMO changes over to 1900Mhz 3G) and then Sprint will be the slowest network for iPhone usage :))

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Two things that keep me from smashing the Sprint 4S to bits :

1) I'm 9/10 times on WiFi so cellular data usage is quite low.

And,

2) I have the *executive plan* for $25 which is unlimited everything [ voice, data, msging, international, insurance etc ]

If it wasn't for those reasons, I would've never been on Sprint's ' Slow Network ' ! I hate Verizon.. but I digress lol..

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Just remember that it's not the iPhone that's at fault here.

It's all the iPhone users though. I had the Evo on Sprint from 6/10-12/10 before I went back to the iPhone. I really liked Sprint's 3g network back then. It was pretty fast.

Now, you add all the iPhone users with unlimited data and they are just clogging up the network making it basically unusable.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I'm dumping Sprint in a few months. I'm waiting on the new iPhone to come out and then Sprint is gone.

Their 3G is so slow that yesterday I couldn't download 4 emails, and I couldn't load my position on Foursquare. It's pretty pathetic. It's completely useless on their 3G network.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I was always curious about this. Is it the technology Sprint uses for their 3G network or is it because they have congested towers?

They use the same technology as Verizon (EVDO) but Verizon manages to make theirs usuable. I even got use to Verizon's 1X service last year when I was out of coverage and without WiFi a day or so and I never complained one bit. Sure if your use to the quick speed. I can understand but other than that Sprint service and any service provider coverage is questionable in certain areas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.