How do you plan to follow the campaign season?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Apr 25, 2019.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

We're getting closer and closer to a full-fledged, high gear campaign season.
    How do you plan to follow it? Will you chase each and every snippet of news with instant notifications from each and every media organization, or do you plan to go in an Amish community?

Personally, I think I will read the WSJ (*) on paper during the day, and avoid online news as much as possible. I will definitely not watch CNN/FOX/MSNBC with the sole exception of the last D's debate, and the debates between the presidential candidates. I also plan to keep listening to Ben Shapiro as I like him although I often disagree with him (works well for my commute). I want to avoid noise and political gossip as much as possible.
    As for PRSI... I am still deciding.

(*) thinking of having the NYT delivered, but it's expensive...

2. chown33 macrumors 604

I'll just read thread titles in PRSI. If they look somewhat interesting, I might read more of the thread, or occasionally even something that might be linked to.

I figure the PRSI "rhubarb level" is a decent, if somewhat noisy, indicator of what's going on in political campaigns.

If my face starts hurting too much from repeated face-palms, maybe I'll write a shell script that scrapes PRSI thread titles and page counts, and shows them in a pretty graph. I've already got a pretty good handle on the fundamental elements of those.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

like always, just wait till tweets are posted here :p

4. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

It's way too long. They should put limits on it, give them a month or two to campaign, debate, run ads, etc and that's it. Dragging it out for more than a year is hard on everyone involved and completely unnecessary. Overhaul it.

As for my plan, I'll use Google News aggregator with no filters to see what's trending and turn off any coverage at night outside of the nightly news because I would rather listen to a cat stuck in a barbed wire fence than Trump blabbering on like an idiot endlessly on cable news.

Netflix will be your friend for the next year, if you haven't subscribed already then do it.

5. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Truest statement in the history of PRSI.

6. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

The top rated 24 hour news network shows get about 4 million viewers. That’s less than 2% of the population, but according to this forum you would think it’s more like 90%.

7. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Going to put it on CNN with a bowl of popcorn and a smile on my face and watch the reactions as Trump gets elected once again.

8. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

To put that into perspective ABC's World News Tonight averages 8 million viewers alone. The big three networks are where most people still get their news and is by far still the most objective of them all. I haven't watched cable news (any of them) since probably around 2012, far too much hyperbole for me.

9. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    WSJ, FOX, CBS and some feeds.
    Depending on those I'll catch a couple of townhalls / debates.

Once the candidates are whittled down by a lot I'll pay a bit more in depth attention.

Have you ever checked out Allsides? https://www.allsides.com/unbiased-balanced-news

10. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Why would you read a physical newspaper today? Just the disposal of the paper itself is a headache. You can get a digital-only subscription for $15/month and you get a ton of email lists available to you.

I do not plan to follow the elections outside of incidental stuff in other news articles. I could follow using The Daily Shot weekend political charts but I haven't bothered yet. I have far too much financial stuff to read as it is. So count me in on Amish.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Ideally, I'd like to view the whole thing from a mountain cabin with a dodgy Internet connection and lousy mail service.

Realistically, I'll be in the trenches of coverage listening to speeches, asking questions, arguing with the spin-doctors, complaining about the stale donuts, flying as much as an albatross, and trying to keep the interns alive.

It's going to suck.

I like the idea of reading a paper and avoiding cable news. Cable news has completely lost me, these days the news wires and newspaper websites get the same video, and they're as fast as CNN. Fox News and MSNBC are just stupid, no coverage you can't get elsewhere, and analysis so shallow and dumb it might as well be done by a Kardashian. A pox on both their houses.

12. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

I'll try to avoid hearing about the primaries. I just wish all states had their votes at once and got it over with quickly. Plus outlaw unsolicited campaign calls, emails, texts and snail mail. At least an enforced do not campaign registry for all those.

I didn't even know the major networks had national news anymore. I can't recall the last time I've seen an ad on them for anything other than the local news. I don't think I've seen network news for 15 years. I just assumed the 24 hour networks killed national news.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Network news is still fairly popular and consistently earns as many or more viewers than cable news shows. Cable news is still a niche. And, I suspect that cable news reached its apogee in viewership several years ago.

Between millennial cord cutters who don't watch much cable television, Gen-X's own apathy, and the collapse of the boomers, I'd bet that CNN, Fox, and MSNBC will face declining viewership. This same demographic bomb will probably end the network news networks, too.

14. iTurbo macrumors 6502

My thoughts.

Educate yourself as much as possible as a voter. Vote what you believe afterwards. Take a World History class if you haven't already.

I'm not even going to pretend that I could I could change anybodies mind though. That would be ridiculous, and its your decision.

15. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

I don't watch TV news nor subscribe to any newspapers. As far as news sites, i got exhausted with all the major ones, left and right. Publicly funded broadcasting(PBS, NPR, BBC, ABC.net.au) and websites proved useless as they were hopelessly left leaning and biased.

The sources I settled with were...
    Rubin Report(Youtube)
    DailyWire (DailyWire.com)
    Jewish Broadcasting Service(YouTube)
    Hoover Institution(YouTube)
    Intelligence Squared Debates(YouTube)

I’ll be sticking with those sources this time around too.

Cheers

PS>> im not on twitter either. I dont want nor need updates about the most mundane stuff.

16. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Michael Moore has already said Trump will win Term 002. Game over.

17. iTurbo macrumors 6502

Michael Moore.....biggest douche ever?

Seriously though, if a democrat candidate had good ideas, I would look into it. As it stands, 1/2 of them are just looking to gain status by running. Where are the policies other than obstructing? We saw it with the Kavanaugh debacle and now with the empty Mueller report. It will never end with them.

And now you have the 'front runner' Biden grabbing women. How can you justify that after Trump's grabbing them by the ***** comment? He was only talking and Biden is actually grabbing a hold.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 25, 2019 ---
    I con't condone it at all...I find it disgusting all-out. But I only said so to display the hypocrisy.

18. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

I watch the morning cable news shows and being in NH the first primary state, we get the gamut of the politicians that are running or even supporting the others. It gets a little nutty here.

19. pshufd macrumors 6502a

In general you can meet any candidate you want to meet in NH.

20. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I'll be listening to many, but not all, episodes of the NPR Politics Podcast. They got me through the 2016 election. I will continue to read political articles in the New Yorker and check Google News for quick updates. I will do most of my online political discussion here in PRSI. :) I can't promise I will be as engaged as I was in 2016. I graduate college next year and I'll be studying abroad in Europe for much of the second half of this year. I have bigger things on my mind than the almost two-year long s**tshow that is an American election. I'm always amazed to read about other countries where election season only lasts a few months. Oh well. We're in the "clown car" stage now and that's usually pretty fun :p

21. raqball macrumors 68000

I don't plan to follow much until the (D) nomination is in someones hand. I might pay attention to Schultz if he announces as I'd like to hear more from him...

Other than that - I know what Trump is about so no need to listen to him blabber...

22. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Pewdiepie has a better viewership than the top rated 24 hour news shows?

Fascinating.

To the topic, I'll probably continue to get my news from the same general places on Reddit (r/libertarian, r/intellectualdarkweb, r/politicaldiscussion, etc) but otherwise, not keep track of it too much. I don't live in DC anymore, I can finally ignore the bull$hit easier.

23. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Not sure what I'm going to do to follow the 2020 primaries. I toy with skipping the whole thing.

At the outset of a campaign season when it really gets underway, I usually delete everything/everyone that I follow in my Twitter account except for the AP, Reuters and my Congress critter, and then add back reporters following the campaign trail if they don't tweet total trivia like what they had for breakfast while trying to interview locals on their policy views. I just want links to their stories in their respective newspapers.

I read on politics from NYT, WaPo, WSJ, LA Times, Bloomberg, FT, FiveThirtyEight most days and pop into the New Yorker and Politico a few times a week. National Review, New Republic now and then. Atlantic once in awhile. Harpers and VF when I get around to it. I will miss the Weekly Standard, Bill Kristol used to keep my blood pressure from falling too low.

There are so many Dem candidates for 2020 at the outset that you kinda wonder how the media outlets are going to cover them all... good for journos, expensive for the papers. Hope the papers rise to the occasion, we need to know everything we can about all of the candidates. I also hope none of the candidates drops out really soon, but money does get eaten up fast, and the ones without name recognition have a tough road to try to get traction soon enough.

24. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Great question. The answer is simple. I usually read the newspaper very early in the morning (sometimes at 4am, sometimes at 5am). The last thing I want to do when I wake up is to be in front of a screen. The principal reason however is that when I tried e-papers (exact replicas) I found myself ending up browsing on the main news website, or checking email, or worse on Facebook. The reason is that probably my not-so awake brain thinks that it's more efficient to do so as the iPad/iPhone is already in front of me.

Not really. Since I read the paper so early I usually bring it/them to work and leave it/them in the break room for people to use. I always find a couple of people (if not more) reading it, so in the end I am sharing it. If I don't bring the paper to work I either use it for household things (parakeets' cage, cat litter whatever). It's also pretty great to light up a BBQ chimney, and it's useful when camping (weekend edition be blessed!). At times I just put it in the recycle bin.

I am avoiding notifications as much as possible, this includes emails. I am subscribed to a few selected email lists (Churchill society, Foreign Affairs, Nixon Library, Society for American Baseball Research), but that's it.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2019 ---
    This is a dream scenario!!!

Try it for a month. Subscribe to a national paper (WSJ, NYT, UST; I read UST at the moment but it's not good) and a local paper (unless you leave in big metro areas as the WaPo and LAT can work well as both national and local coverage). Remove all notifications, and links, and whatever to digital media. Just one month; try. I already converted a few people and they all thank me :)

And honestly, there is less drama in many self-made youtube news videos. When I watch Fox and CNN at the gym I am flabbergasted at their low quality always-drama. Yesterday I was watching them during my pre-workout run (legs day...) and since there was no volume I looked at their body language and facial expressions. They always look pissed, like the world is ending today... on both channels! More so, CNN is pissing me off with this continuous "Breaking News" banner for minor stuff; as I said somewhere else mine could be a pavlovian reaction since the 1st Gulf War, but when I read Breaking News I assume it's something somewhat vital. I think that yesterday's Breaking News (banner, and short Breaking News clip) was that Biden was holding a fundraiser. I mean, yes it's something to report by all means, but it's not a vital piece of news.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2019 ---
    Interesting point. Do you think that this is the reason why they try to ramp up the drama?