How do you politically identify yourself?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gsugolfer, Apr 4, 2014.

?

How do you identify yourself?

1. Liberal

28 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. Moderate

14 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. Conservative

12 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Yes, this is a simple poll. However, if I had offered more options, answers would have likely gravitated to the middle, so I decided to cut out some of the fluff.

Quite simply, how do you identify yourself politically? This speaks to your overall views regarding economics and social issues - not just one of the two.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Not middle dweller.

You'll find me on the left.

3. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I see myself as a moderate. There are merits to both sides philosophy and we need to strive to balance each others ideals in our politics. Being an extremist left or right will only bring harm, IMHO.

5. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I'm a realist by my own definition. I believe looking at "cause and effect" for answers, offers better solutions than one sided opinionated answers. I guess I'm moderate that leans closer to liberal.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

TEA party member, I dont have a problem with the OWS movement, I support MOST of the ACA with the exception of the MANDATE, fiscally conservative while socially liberal, love the 2ND. so none of the above really fit me. :)

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Old-school liberal (e.g., Howard Metzenbaum, Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders).

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

After your men breast feeding comment , no surprises there. :rolleyes:

11. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

That must require a lot of mental gymnastics....

12. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Middle. I believe some policies from both need to be implemented.

But if I had to choose, left.

13. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I the Netherlands I'm seen as Center Right voter.

But because in the US the extremes are the norm, I would I identify myself as a Liberal.

14. SLC Flyfishing, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014

SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

To me, today's republican party reminds me of that kid at school that was always angry and stubborn. So sure he was right about everything, even though he never stopped to think about some of the crazy crap he came up with. Nobody really wanted anything to do with him as a result.

Today's Democrat party reminds me of the kid who would say or do anything, as long as it was the "cool" thing to do. No backbone, no thinking for himself. Most people didn't respect him as a result.

I don't know where exactly I fall on the spectrum in actual life, because in real life I'm nowhere near as staunchly tied to my political opinions as I am on this board. I come here to debate, often times just for debate's sake. I don't feel like I'm right down the middle exactly though.

I think John Hunstman Jr is a pretty good example of a politician with overall similar political views to where I actually stand. Someone who doesn't fit perfectly into either political mold, but more right leaning than left leaning. But because he's not far right, he can't get past the damn republican primaries. I think he'd be a really strong candidate if he made it to the general election.

In the end, both mainstream parties in the USA have good things and bad things to bring to the table. It's sad that the system isn't setup to allow the people to choose the things from each party that work, and reject the stuff that doesn't.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Independent libertarian.

Lean left on issues related to things like education, healthcare, food stamps, housing and regulating business and wall street.

Hawkish of defense. Real defense though. Not like Syria and Libya.

Lean right on constitutional issues like gun laws, free speech, freedom of religion etc etc.

Libertarian moderate on social issues like gay marriage.

Generally concerned about the growth, control and influence gov't is taking in our lives, and the police state, which plays into constitutional matters like gun laws, free speech etc etc etc.

16. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I like your stance as it is a bit like mine. The difference is at gun control, yeah I think the US needs a bit more control not saying that guns should be banned but just need to be controlled.

17. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I guess if you have to care about something in New Zealand. I certainly give no thought to New Zealand gun laws.

And control is a tricky thing because in the USA we have insanity in political office. Their version of control is a swat team going to your house and killing you because you have unregistered old western revolver that's been passed down in your family.

And the only gun control I will ever support must be universal. You want to pass a ban, or limit mags or configuration, then let it apply to 100% of the population outside of the military. If not that, then all someone is proposing is "Animal Farm"

18. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

To be honest, we are ranked 1 social advancement wise:)D)-http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11231593

And American politics are far more interesting to me then New Zealand ones(not that we are perfect or anything-far from it)

Why is this allowed to even happen? why can't control mean control?

19. Technarchy, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Because control looks like this? This is the direction the USA is going. Can you blame people for not wanting to be disarmed on any level.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When a bank wants you evicted, they get a judge to send a kill squad to your door...

[​IMG]

20. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Oh my god. That is so very disturbing.

21. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Yeah...

Why worry about violating the Posse Comitatus Act when you can just jack booted thugs with the same equipment.

Make no mistake, it's coming to a head in the USA. Might not be in my lifetime, but it's coming. At some point a group of people are going to get together and say enough. Might be the Crispus Attucks moment that wakes the average citizen up.

22. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'm a Conservative on Fiscal Matters but Liberal on Social Matters. I'm a Complicated Republican. I don't care if gays get married and I'm Pro-Abortion. Not exactly the party lines. When it comes to defense, I'd bring every soldier, sailor, airman and marine back to the USA. If someone wants us to fight their battle we can haggle over terms.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The whole left versus right conceptualisation of politics only serves to keep existing political parties in power. There are 7 billion people on the planet. Somehow I find it odd that collectively we have conceived only two viable political solutions ('left' & 'right'), both of which are flawed beyond comprehension if taken to extremes.

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

For this poll to mean something, we'd have to establish benchmark standards for these labels. I consider myself moderate, but anyone to my right, as they don't tend to see shades, would call me liberal. :)

25. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed