How do you REALLY unlock iphone 4 running 4.1 with modem firmware 12.10.04?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by marchellobb, Nov 15, 2010.

1. marchellobb macrumors member

I searched google and youtube. But I'm confused by it all. Redsn0w, l1merain, ultrasn0w... Which one am I really supposed to use?

Alot of jailbreak sites look like fraudulous sites as well, not sure who to trust.

Limerain looks like a legit one, but even then I'm not sure what im supposed to do, just connect my iPhone and click 'make it rain?'

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

Are you looking for an unlock or jailbreak? you don't make it very clear.

www.caniunlock.com

3. Sixtafoua macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

Limera1n will jailbreak it, but won't unlock it.
    To use limera1n, just plug your phone into the computer, click "make it rain" and follow the instructions that follow after that.
    Greenpois0n is also another good jailbreak tool. And don't trust anything that isn't free, all the legitimate jailbreak tools are free.
    An unlock is still not available for 4.1 and is likely not ever to come for 4.1, a 4.2 unlock will probably come sooner.
    As you probably know, a jailbreak lets you install apps that aren't approved by apple, and an unlock lets you use your phone with an unauthorized carrier, like T-mobile. If you have at&t, you don't need to worry about unlocking your phone.

4. marchellobb thread starter macrumors member

Sorry if i wasnt clear... I dont know what unlocking is.

I meant jailbreak, so i can use Cydia to download free apps. L1merains the way to go? Does it have a chance to permanently brick my iphone or render the warranty useless?

5. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

6. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

You run that risk with any jailbreak. But I believe it's highly unlikely to happen as long as you follow the on screen instructions.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That would depend on the type of "free" app you want to download. Jailbreaking have no more risk that any firmware upgrade you do from Apple.

Give a quick read to this thread so you get a better understanding of what jailbreaking is and do.

Jailbreak FAQ and commonly use Terminology + Guides

8. marchellobb thread starter macrumors member

Cool thanks alot for the quick replies guys, i can always count on you!

9. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

You're jailbreaking just so you can get "free" apps? sigh...

10. APtalent macrumors regular

For anyone that wants to unlock their 4.1 iPhone 4s,

STOP!

There's no UNLOCK for that baseband, CURRENTLY.

The unlock for it will be posted SHORTLY after iOS 4.2 is released. Unlocking it now WILL result in a BRICKING.

I repeat, DO NOT unlock.

Check this chart for more information:
    http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/iPhone-iTouch-Jailbreak

11. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

What the frick are you smoking?

You can't brick your iPhone via software. This has been discussed ad naueseam. Please stop spreading information that just isn't true.

12. hachre macrumors 6502a

hachre

He is talking about unlocking the SIM-lock. If you upgrade to a new version of iOS before a working unlock for the SIM-lock has been confirmed you risk not being able to remove the SIM-lock ever again. You cannot downgrade the baseband firmware.

13. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

That's not "bricking" the phone.

people throwing around that term is why we get so many "oh my god I don't want to brick my phone please help!!!" or "oMG i bricked my phone!!111! plssss help!!11" threads.

14. hachre macrumors 6502a

hachre

I agree ;)

15. APtalent macrumors regular

Read the post below you if you feel confused. [​IMG]

Rendering your phone useless is 'bricking.'

16. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

No.

Bricking, despite your assertions, does not mean "rendering useless", it means that the phone won't turn on. At all. If you wanted to say that the phone won't be able to function as a phone, or that you cannot unlock it, then say that.

Bricking, fortunately or otherwise, means that the device will simply not function. Ever again, thereby rendering it unusuable for ever. It is the permanancy implicit in the term bricking which is problematic.

Whilst we are not guaranteed a software unlock for future basebands, there remains the possibility that the phone will be usuable again. In fact, many people here ARE waiting for a new version of ultrasn0w and there are several rumours concerning the release of a new version of ultrasn0w; there is therefore no permanancy (which as I stress is what the term bricking implies) in unusability if one upgrades the BB.

In sum, don't use the word bricking because it is impossible to 'brick' an iPhone via software.

It is entirely possible to lose an unlock, the number of "i accidently upgraded to 4.1 through iTunes" threads is testament to that, but in ALL of those threads, the OP's phone is not 'bricked'.

17. APtalent macrumors regular

I won't bother making a rebuttal against true claims.

You're right. I misused the word "bricked."

You get a +1 and a goldstar sir!

18. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Why thank you. I do like stars. Especially shiny ones.

19. Carlanga, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

COMPLETELY WRONG! [​IMG] You should learn about the things you talk about before you speak....:rolleyes:;)

TS, there is no unlock for 2.10.04 yet (which is what I'm assuming you have and not 12.10.04 like you have on your title;))... Sherif Hashim has managed to crash the 05.14.02 and 2.10.04 baseband, but you will have to wait until fw 4.2 gets released for them (Dev Team) to release the updated ultrasn0w if he can finish the update by then...
    For now, you can start by saving your hashes for 4.1 w/ TinyUmbrella! Also, don't update to 4.2 until the appropriate tools to jb and unlock gets released...

All those tools you mentioned are legit, there are only 3 sites: one from geohot = limera1n, one from chronic dev team = greenp0ison and the big one the dev team site which has redsn0w, pwnagetool and ultrasn0w (made by them also, but you download it straight from cydia). ALL are legit, safe and free.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How do you REALLY unlock iphone 4 running 4.1 with modem firmware 12.10.04?

You cannot unlock it at the moment.

21. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Terrible website. you can be on 4.1 without updating the baseband. Thats a very popular thing to do..