How do you reveal the location of an open file in Finder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thegarlicknight, Nov 14, 2013.

1. thegarlicknight macrumors newbie

Hi all,

First-time poster, but I've been coming here for answers for a long time. However, I can't find an answer to the following question...

Short version:

If I have a document open, is there a keyboard shortcut that will open a Finder window showing the file's containing folder?

Long version:

Sometimes when I am viewing a document (a word doc in word, a PDF in Preview, etc.), I want to move the document to another folder.

Currently, I have been searching for the file in Spotlight, or navigating through various Folders finder.

It would be nice if I could simply press a keyboard combination that would display the window where the file is contained.

Is there such a keyboard shortcut, or an alternative way to move a file from one folder to another, while viewing the document in a program like Preview, Word, or Reader?

Thanks.

2. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Assuming its a Cocoa Document-Based Application, just right-click on the small proxy icon of the document in the window title bar. You should get a drop-down menu that has the location of the document.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Not at my Mac (OS 10.5.8) now, but I believe a right click on the name of the file generates a "pop down" menu with its location.

Another way would be to do a SaveAs and look at where it's saving it to. You don't have to finish the command.

But, you can't move a file from one folder to another while in that file. You could use SaveAs to save a copy in a different location, but then you'd have two files.

4. gobsmacked macrumors member

Did you mean 10.8.5 ? Mountain Lion?
    If so then when you are in Preview for example and hover mouse over the filename a triangle appears to the right of the name. Click on this and a menu appears that allows you to Rename, Move to iCloud, Move or Duplicate. I don't use MS products so I can't check Word.

5. thegarlicknight thread starter macrumors newbie

Right-clicking on the icon/document name at the top of the window works perfectly! I never thought to try that. Thank you.

6. samh macrumors 6502

You can also drag the icon in the title bar directly to its new location (which will move it if it's on the same volume or copy it if it's on another volume).

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No, I didn't. And yes, the info in my previous post is correct.