How do you set a home video to show in TV Show?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Colin0317, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Colin0317 macrumors member

I added some of my TV shows to iTunes and they show under home video, how can I get them to show in TV Shows? I'm using iTunes 12.

:apple:

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

select the file, click get info (or CMD-i) then under options set the media kind to "TV show"

or use a program like identify or metaX to tag the files before you add them, it will set the type and add all the name information to the file so it lables itself correctly when you import it to iTunes.
    This way also stores the info in the file itself, so if you ever try to import to another copy of iTunes, or your iTunes database fails, you won't have to re-tag when you import the files.

3. cynics macrumors G4

Like mentioned right click the show, get info, option tab, under media kind set to TV show.

Once you do that you'll likely want to organize them. So AFTER you set to TV show you'll get different options under the details tab. There you can set the title (episode name), show (name of the show which is what it will be filed under), season and episode (how it will be put in order).

If you are like me you can also Google search the title of your show or goto wikipedia and download the cover. In the "get info" area under the artwork tab you can set the artwork for that show. Makes your iTunes look a lot better imo.

4. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

You can do that inside iTunes, but your better bet would be to tag them with the proper media type and season/episode info before you load them into iTunes in the first place - use Subler, iDentify, or MetaZ for this.

If they're already in iTunes, I know MetaZ will allow you to edit it and force Tunes to update it's info for that file - not sure on the others.

5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have been using IDentify and like it. You can drag an item directly from the iTunes window into the program, add/edit tags, then save it back to iTunes without even quitting. Very convenient.

6. cynics macrumors G4

What is the benefit of this? I'm genuinely curious as I've just been using iTunes to set this information.

7. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I don't know about now but in the past, it seemed that setting tags with iTunes would hold some such information in iTunes lists rather than embed it in the file. If you ever moved your media (say, to a bigger hard drive or manually to a new computer) and then dumped the files back into iTunes, some of the tagging would be lost (for instance, "tv shows" might appear in "movies" and similar). Using dedicated file taggers like MetaZ and similar guarantees that all such tagging is written into the media file itself. You can move it to any number of new hard drives or computers and when you drop it back into iTunes, it will index in the right place.

While this may not be the case anymore, I do still notice that sometimes making a change in iTunes seems to happen immediately with no file re-write while changes in tools like MetaZ always writes a new file so I know for sure the changes were written into the new file. If I don't see the file re-write, I assume the tag change is stored in a list separate from the media file rather than being stored within the video file itself.

8. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

I couldn't have said it any better than HobeSoundDarryl, above.

The only thing I'd add is that if you're going to load it into MetaZ, et. al., anyway to update the media type, it's also an excellent opportunity to modify the metadata you generally can't even get to in iTunes, such as rating (G, PG, PG-13, etc.)

Really, for media files you're ripping yourself, it makes managing a library much easier if you go through the small extra hassle of properly updating the metadata as part of the ripping and loading process that you use.