how do you shoot your familiy and important moments videos? poll=P

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by neonkru, Jan 28, 2010.

1. neonkru macrumors regular

hi! I'm gathering much information as possible while looking for an answer i can't figure out because i don't understand very well the difference between 1080i and pf25 (pal europe)

i'm shooting for editing in imovie and final cut express

how do you shoot your videos for familiy moments like, vacation, beach, parties indoor etc?

:)

2. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

1080i50 will have smoother motion like TV sports; 1080PsF25 will have a more strobey, detached look akin to movies.

Unless you want things to look like a movie I'd stick with 1080i50. Final Cut Express should be fine with 1080i50, but there seem to be some potential pitfalls with iMovie that you'd be wise to get to the bottom of before committing.

3. neonkru thread starter macrumors regular

what do you specifically mean when you say, "look like a movie"?

4. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Movies have a sort of "non-live" look. You know how you watch the news or sports on TV and they look "live", look real world-y? And movies or 24 or Lost don't look "live", they look... like a movie?

Well a big part of that difference is the difference between 1080i50 and 1080PsF25 — or more specifically, the difference between the shutter and the amount of motion each captures.

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

Other examples:

If you have ever watched BBC programming, in the 70s and 80s...maybe even 90s...outdoor action was always shot on film and looks grainier while in-studio shots were on videotape and 'look live' .

Perfect examples are "Dr Who"...70s and 80s era...and "Monty Python's Flying Circus" with flipping between film and videotape multiple times within each show.

In the U.S....using two of the most popular shows from the 80s:

Videotape 'live look" : "The Cosby Show"
    Filmed: "Cheers"

6. neonkru thread starter macrumors regular

This may be a little offtopic but, movies like cloverfield, paranormal activity and district nine. are they shooted in 1080i50 or are they shoot in PF25 but only the footage is filmed with different tecniques and angles?

7. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

lol, had to do a double take on the title there:

"how do your shoot your family and..."

get away with it? :eek:

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The board did a quite an interesting and unfortunate job cropping the title

:D :D :D

Attached Files:

9. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Deep inside everyone has feelings like that. But believe me, neonkru: you better don't.

10. neonkru thread starter macrumors regular

LOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL i just laughed a lot when i read my post again. didn't notice it ahah=D