How do you speak to your Watch instead of HomePod?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mazz0, Feb 11, 2018.

1. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

I want to set timers on my watch (so I can check the remaining time silently), but HomePod answers instead. I don’t want to turn off all voice control of HomePod. Anything I can do?

2. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

I kept having Siri go to HomePod even when not n the same room and it could not hear me. Too 2 or three Siri attempts to get it back on my phone.

3. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

Hold the crown down is the best way I think for now.

HomePod has Hey Siri priority by design.

4. TheQuest89 macrumors member

TheQuest89

There should be a "Hey Homepod" command instead of "Hey siri" as default. But knowing apple they won't give us users that option.

5. StumpyBloke Suspended

StumpyBloke

Where is this stated? Not doubting you but would love to read up on it

6. mazz0 thread starter macrumors 68000

mazz0

Ah, didn’t know that was an option :) Everyday’s a school day!

Apple Watch should take priority over HomePod, since it takes an extra action (raising your wrist) to activate Apple Watch.

7. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

ACTUALY Siri should be a singularity instead of a collection of loosely related Apps that don't really know each other.

8. mazz0 thread starter macrumors 68000

mazz0

Singularity? Do you mean singleton, like in programming?

I dunno, I don’t really know in what areas Siri needs to improve. I’m not saying it doesn’t, or that the competitors aren’t a lot better, but I’ve never found myself wanting it to do something it doesn’t do. Basically, I don’t get what smart assistants are for.

9. Kermit262 macrumors 6502

Kermit262

This is how I'm doing it going forward, now that I have the HomePod. In fact I turned off the Hey Siri option on my watch, since holding down the crown is how I invoke Siri most of the time anyway. Having it turned off will also avoid any confusion with the HomePod.

10. justiny Contributor

justiny

I wish Apple would create a software option to prioritize the Hey Siri hands-free functionality by device, similar to WiFi networks. I got frustrated with using Hey Siri on my watch and iPhone in the same room (half the time, they would both cue up simultaneously instead of only the watch). Then I tried using just the Digital Crown, which isn’t terrible but I missed the hands-free aspect.

What I’ve done since is trained myself to say Hey Siri with my watch down, and if my iPhone doesn’t respond, then I’ll raise to wake to use Hey Siri on the watch. I don’t have the HomePod (yet), so I’ll probably have to train myself a different way yet again.

I’m not holding my breath, but I’m really hoping 2018 is the year of Siri and Apple getting her up to the same smarts as the competition.