How do you store/manage your iTunes/media library? Trying to get it all organized

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bounou, Jul 10, 2012.

1. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

Just recently got the "front-end" of my home theater setup sorted out and looking to do the same for the "back-end".

Currently my iTunes library is on a 2TB USB 3.0 external hard drive directly connected to my MBP, i manually back it up to a 1TB wireless hard drive using CCC and it streams to a 3rd generation Apple TV.

I need to decide on two things, how to manage the library and how to store it. My budget for all of this is 500$-1000$

The big question is whether or not to get a Mac mini. I love the idea of getting one just not sure if the cost is worth the use i will put it to. It would be nice to have a backup computer, would let me move my laptop around more and even leave it in the office sometimes and i could use it to run plex or other content management software.

As far as storage goes i have a few options, considering a couple of mini stacks, a Drobo 5D or maybe a Western Digital My Thunderbolt Duo, trying to stay away from wireless storage because it is so brutally slow to transfer in or out large amounts of data, still don't understand why they don't make NAS's that have USB 3.0 connections when you need the extra speed but oh well.

That is about it, i need a comprehensive solution to manage and store my iTunes library that currently has about 400GB and is growing at about 100GB month not to mention the very large DVD and blu ray collection i still have to rip for it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

With your budget and for what you want to do, i would build a custom Media Server, you can use 3er parties software to organized your library and you have the option to run multiple servers in case you need to, you can also add as much storage as you want.

With a HTPC or Media server you can have, Plex servicing all your devices that can run Plex client and even stream your media over the internet, you can have NAS software running so you can share not only media, but also backups and any files across your network (and also even VPN and share across the internet if you want), you can have of course iTunes running servicing all your iOS devices.

So much flexibility and you can save some cash while at it.

3. donrsd macrumors 6502

donrsd

any links on how to buy the necessary items?

im looking into building an HTPC but dont know where to start :confused:

4. HipHopTrex macrumors member

Any third party software you'd recommend for building a custom Media Server. I've been looking into building one for a few weeks, and researching it myself. But I'd love to gather more people's thoughts on it.