How do you take a screenshot of just the dock and its apps?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alex-dlc, Apr 15, 2013.

1. alex-dlc macrumors member

You used to be able to do this in Leopard by doing cmd+shift+4 and then pressing space, and then clicking on the dock

now if you try this, you can either take a pic of just the dock, or just the apps on the dock, not both.

just dock:
    [​IMG]

just apps:
    [​IMG]

whats going on?

2. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Yup same thing happens if I try to screenshot my dock. Only does this with the 3D dock though, using the 2D dock takes a proper screenshot.

3. alex-dlc thread starter macrumors member

this sucks! why do they break something so simple

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

What happens if you take a screenshot of the whole screen and then crop the bit you want in your favourite image editor?

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Command-Shift-4, then move the mouse to the starting point to make the screenshot Hold the mouse button and drag it to the point you want to stop, not that hard.

Attached Files:

6. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Look at what you post before you post it... The dock background didn't show up in your attachment either.

OP obviously knows how to take a screen shot, he's just wondering why taking a screen shot of the dock no longer works properly (it only snaps the apps or the dock background but not both).

7. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

The icons are rendered separately from the dock background now (as of ML). You will have to combine the images in an image editor in order to get the whole dock.

Attached Files:

8. alex-dlc thread starter macrumors member

i dont want it to have the background

----------

the picture you attached is how it used to look when you took a single screenshot of the dock in leopard. Thats what i want to do in mountain lion, i don't want to have to merge two images, and i don't want to crop it with the background behind it

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Because my Dock background is transparent, that's why, if you comment on a post then look well and you could know.