How do you turn the startup sound off, if the only startup disk you have is a windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dblows, Apr 25, 2010.

1. dblows macrumors newbie

I have a 3 year old MacBook Pro, so I decided to experiment with Bootcamp. I changed it completly to Windows. Happily it worked, however there doesn't seem to be a way to mute the startup sound. I've searched the internet for answers but the problem is, but all the advice I find tells me either to mute the computer before turning it off (which unfortunately doesn't work), plugging in headphones (also didn't work), or downloading a mac application which I obviously can't as I'm in windows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If you still have osx installed, you can boot into it and mute the volume. That turns off the startup siund as well. otherwise theres no way from windows.

3. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Wow, do you mean that with a regular Windows computer you can't mute the startup sound? Or is it just with Windows on a Mac that you can't do that?

4. Charlie.naylor macrumors newbie

Sorry i misinterpreted what you said. Edited to remove a non solution.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The startup sound can only be muted from the Mac side. If you removed Mac OS X entirely (which you should never do, because you won't be able to install firmware updates for the computer) then you're stuck.

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'm talking about the "DING" sound when you first turn on a mac... not the actual Windows XP or Vista or 7 sound when you're booted into the OS.

7. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Oh, OK that makes sense. Thanks.

8. dblows thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I removed the whole of the mac, not on purpose...

Anyway it's a old laptop, thanks for the help