How do you use a mouse with iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by piatti, Mar 18, 2013.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

Would you have to jailbreak iPhone5 to be able to use a mouse? Holding the iPhone in hand is not very ergonomic because u have to have your head down which causes neck pain. If you hold the iPhone up then its uncomfortable for your arm which becomes a distraction.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sorry but I don't see needing to use a mouse with the iPhone. Perhaps a different device (tablet or laptop) would be better for you.

I've personally not run into using my iPhone to the point where a mouse is required.

3. wxman2003 Suspended

The real question is how you use a hamster with an iPhone.

4. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

I would like to use iPhone because it has much better screen and pixel density than a laptop.

5. madsci954 macrumors 68030

iOS devices were designed with touch screens for a reason. It can be done but why bother?

Retina MBP?

6. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You'll just to wait for a retinae Macbook Air to come out.

Fact is, even if this was possible, I can't think of a good way to work multi-touch with a mouse. You could get around many programs with only "1 finger," but eventually you'd run into problems.

8. Auxo macrumors 6502

9. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

10. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

I don't get it. Are you planning on writing a term paper or something using a phone?

A mouse for a phone is like using, well, a mouse for a phone.

:confused:

11. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I'm still not seeing the useful implications here. And I don't see why ergonomics are brought into play here, unless you were using the phone for extended periods of time. I'm trying to help, but I honestly don't see the benefits here.

12. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Yes, you have to jailbreak for this. There is a Cydia tweak called "BTC Mouse & Trackpad" (which you can google for installation instructions) which allows you to add a bluetooth-enabled mouse to any iOS device.

13. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Is there any disadvantages to be had from jail breaking or is it worth it together with other benefits like fonts and what else is there?

14. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

There are a lot of benefits to jailbreaking (tweaks that can do all sorts of things that Apple chose not to include, themes, fonts, etc), but it also opens up your phone to the possibility of installing malicious software. Just be careful about what you install, and ask any questions you may have in these forums (there is a whole Jailbreak section on MacRumors, and its very helpful).

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I get the ergonomics thing the OP was talking about, but using a mouse with the iPhone doesn't seem like the right solution. Instead, if your arms get tired then put something you can rest them on that will elevate them to the correct height.

That being said, it can be done via jailbreaking. Looks like an app was already mentioned which will help accomplish this. As long as you don't plan on doing anything that requires multitouch (games and such), then it will work fine.

16. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

absinthe jailbreak for iOS 5. there is a jailbreak for iOS 6 but the recent iOS 6 update eliminated the loop hole.

download an app called BT Mouse - works beautifully. i have it for my iPad 3 and coupled with a BT keyboard it has truly become a laptop replacement.

17. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Am befuddled by that statement.

My bedroom 25" TV has the same resolution as my living room 46", so by the number my small TV has better pixel density, yet for some reason I much prefer to watch the 46. Both are Samsung edge-lit LCDs.

18. dave8209 macrumors member

dave8209

If you are first-time user, getting used to the touch screen is extremely easy.

----------

The iPad mini is a great screen size, you should wait this year because they will most likely debut a retina iPad mini.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I can't ever imagine wanting to use a mouse with my iPhone.

20. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

When using the mouse to control your iPhone, make sure you tap with its nose. The furry parts wont activate the touchscreen well, and the nails on its feet could scratch your screen. The tail works well, too, as it doesn't have that much hair on it, though a rat's tail works better (thicker and more hairless).

21. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

lol what?

6.1.2 is the latest released iOS and is still jailbreakable. There is a whole forum section on macrumors that deals with this. It's pretty popular.

22. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

An app that lets you use the iPhone as a mouse: Mobile Mouse Pro.

23. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

well all i know is that there was a FP news article on here that said the next iOS 6 update would prevent the untethered iOS 6 jailbreak

anything new since that would be news to me. i still have iOS 5 so i couldn't care less really.

24. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

25. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Any such news articles are speculation. They assume that the next version of iOS will close whatever vulnerability allowed the jailbreak to happen. But, that doesn't always turn out to be true.

Just curious: Why?