Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How would you like to login on future phones?

• Touch ID (finger print sensor)

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Face ID (facial recognition)

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Password/Passcode

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Face ID and Touch ID (must pass both)

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Face ID or Touch ID (either will pass)

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • Something New (comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some other combination (comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Security on Login (swipe up and go)

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Assuming the pandemic will someday pass, I prefer FaceID on my phone and (eventually) Mac, and some form of TouchID for my 12.9" iPP.

I always look at the phone and Mac screens face on with camera on top, but the iPP is most often on a table top for note taking, or in landscape with my hand over the camera, or in some other configuration that makes FaceID a chore.

Put the FaceID sensor along the long dimension of the iPP, and give it a superwide fisheye lens, and I'd prefer FaceID across the board.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I have found FaceID much more reliable and faster than TouchID. Gets even more so in winter when I find I have to redo Touch ID due to finger skin wrinkles in winter

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
FaceID by a mile for me.

My car is a good example. I use my phone for music and the lock screen controls are extremely limited if you're not just going to the next song. FaceID isn't just inconvenient, it's dangerous. Having TouchID to fall back on would be great.

Using your phone while you're driving is dangerous. :rolleyes:

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
FaceID is good for some use cases like private notifications

add in an underscreen fingerprint reader that covers maybe the bottom half or the area where the keyboard goes. Have it constantly checking when you touch the screen so it’s almost always unlocked without you even noticing any delay

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
That will teach you to stray from the SE. :p
Just wish we got the SE+ at the same time. I can still read it decent with zoomed and bigger text, but then when I want to delete an Outlook email from a notification, the delete option is just barely off the bottom. If only the SE2020 were a little longer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.