How does 58 watt-Hours = 7 hours of battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pufftissue, Jun 8, 2009.

1. pufftissue macrumors regular

The old macbook pros had a 60 watt-hour battery (before unibody), and that was nowhere near 7 hours.

Can any battery veterans explain that? And the 13" and 15" models now have the same capacity lithium ion battery? If so, would not the 13" have better battery life?

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

their not gonna get 7, just remember the 17" batt life

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i think 13's will get 7 or more

15's are the same cap with a 7 hour rating to get people to not complain about non removable.

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Do you have any reviews treating that topic ?

Thanks,
    T.

5. John89 macrumors regular

They said the average user would get 5hours of battery life. Then they said 'up to' 7hours of battery. I think 5hours sounds about right. I get about 3ish on my early '08 MBP while doing a few random things.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The one which many users here reported very close if not exceeding 7 hours under "normal" operations?

Note that you won't get that running photoshop or editing video.

7. pufftissue thread starter macrumors regular

Is there something inherently different about the 58 wH battery that they stuck in there? I mean, it's shaped differently and it is supposed to not lose capacity. But does it provide more juice than the penryn/matte screen macbook pros before the unibody design? Those macbook pros had a 60 wH battery.

So am I correct in assuming that the latest macbook pros simply only get about the same battery life as the penryn/matte macbook pros of 2 years ago? It's not an improvement in terms of pure run time. And the 13" macbook pro basically now gets the same runtime as the one 2 models before it (the inagurual white macbook)?

8. lhotka macrumors regular

The big difference is that the newer machines have better power management, so the CPU shuts down farther/faster, it'll switch the GPU off and go to integrated graphics, and has an LED versus CF screen (which sucks power big time).

Still, to get 7 hours, I suspect you'd need to turn the brightness all the way down, turn off bluetooth, wireless, your hard disk, optical drive, not use any peripherals, set a quick screen timeout, disable keyboard backlighting, and shut down all applications except finder.

Unfortunately, we're stuck - Apple's in complete control, and they clearly don't give a damn about pro's. The new design is completely focused on consumers.

9. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I get about 6-7hrs regularly on my 17" but I am not a power user. Web browsing, itunes and watch films.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'll try to find the terms that apple states on their website, but its not as crippled as you make it out to be.

11. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Maybe 5-6 but now they went from Easy access to the hard drive to having to remove many screws all over again because their is no more door on the bottom, the whole unit has one bottom cover, not sure that was a wise idea, but we will see if the battery life holds out. :rolleyes:

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its like, 8 screws. Is that going to kill you?

13. lhotka macrumors regular

On an airplane, in coach (no power adapter), on an overseas flight? Yes - because that's what it'll take to replace the battery so I can keep working.

14. kinkster macrumors 6502a

"Power" users can still get the 15 inch MBPs that were just released at Macworld, which have user-replaceable batteries. Same with the 13". They might not have quite as good specs, but the price will be a bit lower too.

15. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

American Airlines has power ports in coach in most rows. So just fly AA instead^^

16. lhotka macrumors regular

I forgot to note: The whole battery thing goes away if Apple sells (or licenses other people to sell) and external battery pack. The current ones are far too expensive because folks have to buy a whole power supply then cut off the magsafe connector.

Would I pay $150-200 for an external battery pack that plugged in via MagSafe and doubled my battery life? Absolutely.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well you sure as hell werent going to buy the computer with a non user replaceable battery for that then were you?