How does anyone get more than 5-6 hours of usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Laidbackal, May 12, 2012.

1. Laidbackal macrumors regular

On the 4s without listening to music I can't get anymore than this is this normal or is my phone defective I have tried and read all the tips and tricks on this issue. I have iCloud in my mail because I need it for find my iPhone but that is inactive and backup is off could this be a reason. Also I have emoji on my keyboard.

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I get about the same usage. Not sure how others get so much out of their phones. Maybe we're just really heavy users? I know I am.

3. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Unless I'm either playing a graphically intensive game or doing something that requires an active GPS, I also average between 5-6 hours.

Now, if I were to open Waze, put in in the background and then start playing Infinity Blade 2, I'd get far, far less.... likewise, I could get a day or so if I set it to Airplane Mode, set a song to repeat, and turned off the display.

5. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

I hear the 4 has a better battery than the 4s because the it's so slow.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I regularly get about 8-10 hours on my 4S doing light things.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You're not going to get better than that while surfing the web. All the stats you see are totally dependent on how you use the phone. The only stats that matter to YOU are those where they use the phone the same way.

8. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

Intell please tell me your secret settings and everything I'm so serious lol. Do u have find my iPhone and emoji on your phone.

----------

I might be on the safari too much I use it the most out of anything.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Launch day iPhone 4S running iOS 5.0.0, jailbroken. Did get same battery life when not jailbroken.

Settings:

WiFi - off
    Push notifications - on
    Location services - on
    Find my iPhone - on
    Cell Network Search - on
    Compass Calibration - on
    Diagnostics & Usage - on
    Location-Based iAds - off
    Setting Time Zone - off
    Traffic - off
    Vibrate - on
    Ringer switch - mute
    Brightness - 25%
    Auto brightness - off
    Don't send diagnostics and usage data
    Siri - on
    Raise to Speak - off
    3G - on
    Cellular Data - on
    Data Roaming - on
    VPN - none/off
    Bluetooth - off
    iTunes WiFi Sync - off
    Spotlight search - applications only
    Auto-Lock - 2 minutes
    Passcode Lock - Immediately
    Ping - off
    In-App Purchases - off
    Multiplayer Games - off
    Adding Friends - off
    Set Date/Time Automatically - on
    LED Flash for Alerts - off
    iCloud - off
    Fetch email for 7 email accounts once per hour
    Fetch calendar data for 5 calendars once per hour
    Twitter - off
    FaceTime - on
    iMessage - on
    iTunes Match - off
    Home Sharing - off
    PhotoStream - off
    Automatic Downloads - off

That's about everything. I attribute my good battery life to having restored my 4S from my 3Gs' backup, which itself was based off of my iPod Touch 1G's backup. Thus, my 4S has settings and data that where set in 2007.

10. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks alot I'm on 5.1.1 I'm not sure if that could have something to do with it but I'm about to change my settings ASAP.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You just said you have light use. Why are trying to compare your phone to his? Of course you get 8 - 10 hours of use. If all I did was listen to music, I could get more than that.

12. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sure intell does more than listen to music am I right.

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I rarely listen to music anymore on my 4S. Most of my usage is 3G web browsing and 3G remote computing via VNC through a SSH tunnel. Sometimes I play some gpSPhone, but that isn't very battery friendly. Plus lots of emails and note taking.

14. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

16. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Unlikely. Most of the features you mention, didn't exist prior to the iPhone 4. Restoring from an old backup from devices that share very little in common with the current phone, both hardware and software wise, would have minimal to zero impact on battery life.

The simple fact is, the only things you have running are the cell radios on 3G or HSPA+ (still slow and not much of a battery hog), with Siri and Facetime in standby and screen brightness at 25%. That isn't much to tax the battery,,especially in standby mode. I would argue that if you were getting less use than you are, there is something wrong with your phone.

Wait until LTE arrives. Anyone thinks the iPhone 4s sucks at battery life now, is in for a treat.

17. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Which is why I hope there's a toggle to turn it off.

18. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Wi-Fi and 3G off. Brightness down to minimum. (Brightness is the big killer)

19. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

How can you stand edge speeds?

20. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

LOL. Don't expect one. Carriers will want you to go over your data limit (in the US anyway), so they can get more of your money. The new bare minimum for LTE users is gonna be 3gb per month, just watch. And that can go very quickly. I already have an LTE phone and I love having 18mb download and 12 mb upload speeds and so will everyone else, right up to the point they stop monitorig their data usage on a daily basis and then get bent over (without lube) by the carrier!

21. saberahul macrumors 68040

From morning 8 am till around 7pm I have 60-70% batter left. I have 100% signal most of time (5 bars) on 3G on the VZW iPhone 4.
    I should mention that I do not use the phone part as much (mainly use the data from incoming/outgoing emails and instant messages and push from various apps).

Since I listen to music in my car - I know my car charges the phone - but at a very slow rate.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, how do you deal with only 25% brightness?:)

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There's more then the settings I've mentioned that are carried over. Over the years I've manually set settings via plists to save battery life. These settings can't be set in the Settings app and most where set in 2008 and have been forgotten. That along with older settings for things like the system configuration.plist have migrated across all my devices and were initially set for a device with encredibily poor battery life. Thus, they are set to maximize battery life, not waste it away like the default setting in iOS 3.2 and newer.

I don't like searing my eyes. Most of my screens are all the way down or close to it. I offer wish my iMac could go even dimmer.

24. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Interesting concept, but any code from 2008 wouldn't take into account, a larger mA battery, complete software rewrites and upgrades to the OS to accomodate facetime, led flash, imessage, itunes match, changes to the radio hardware, hspa, Locations services, camera hardware upgrades, and so on. Software is only half the equation. This is like keeping code from Windows 95 on a laptop running Windows 7 and proclaiming the old code saves the battery. Doubtful. Running your screen at 25% brightness is your biggest battery saver.

25. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

Is that true who knew brightness could effect so much.