How does Apple know I am or am not a student if I buy over the phone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ishpop, Nov 12, 2008.

1. ishpop macrumors newbie

2. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I believe they ask you for your student number and where you attend school.

3. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

4. ishpop thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. I wouldd feel guilty lying, but the guy asked me today when I was pricing out a machine and I was like hmmmm...

5. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

when ordering using the online higher education store, they dont ask for verification, but I've heard Apple spot-checks. I would assume they would be at least as stringent in-person.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Go with that feeling and do the right thing and be honest.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

besides the fact that they do random checks. ive been required to fax my school id and schedule

9. frogger2020 macrumors regular

Ok, assuming what you said is true and they require you to fax your school id; what could they do if you refuse? They can't go and charge your card for $200 without authorization. That could be easily contested. I suppose they could take you to small claims court, but why would Apple bother?

It's an interesting scenario.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well it is true, believe me

i havent the slightest what they do, maybe charge back your card and not fulfil order? beats me

11. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If you know anyone in college who is willing to let you use their discount, you're good.

12. frogger2020 macrumors regular

Ok, it didn't occur to me that they asked you to fax it before they fulfilled your order. I would have thought that it took a few weeks for them to give you a call or email you for the information!

13. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I've bought a few things and never been checked, except in-store; I did have a friend that had his order placed on hold until he sent them a copy of his student ID and number. I'm assuming if it wasn't sent they'd cancel the order. But the checking is random...

14. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I wish I could remember where I read, but I know it was somewhere in the higher education discount site. Basically, if they audit you (which is completely random, though I suspect more often with online/phone orders... I went the noble approach and used my now 5 y/old college ID at the store and thankfully the guy still believed I was in college... though it wasn't much of a stretch) and find you're not an actual student, you're required to pay off the balance within 30 days or Steve Jobs will consume your flesh for repayment.

Ok, maybe I made that last part up. Still, if it were true I bet soooo many people would become cannibals.

EDIT: Ahh, here it is. Right on the Terms and Conditions.

Audit Rights

Apple routinely audits the purchases of customers at the Apple Store for Education to insure that only eligible purchases have ordered and that all purchase conditions have been observed. Should an audit disclose after delivery (or should Apple otherwise discover) that you were not an eligible purchaser at the time you placed your order or that you have not observed all of the conditions applicable to your purchase, you authorize Apple:

* If you placed your order by credit card, to charge to your credit card the difference between the amount you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Apple charged the general public for the same goods at the Apple Store, in effect on the date that you placed your order; and

* If you paid by a means other than credit card, to (a) invoice you for the difference between the amount that you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Apple charged the general public for the same goods at the Apple Store, payable in fifteen days from the date of the invoice, and (b), should you fail to pay the invoice when due, institute legal action against you in a court of competent jurisdiction, with the prevailing party entitled to attorneys' fees.

* Should Apple not offer to the general public the specific products that you purchased at the Apple Store for education, your credit card will be charged or you will be invoiced the difference between the amount you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Apple charged the general public for the closest equivalent goods at the Apple Store, in effect on the date that you placed your order.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I can attest to this. When I bought my MacPro they checked my ID and ensured it was valid. So yeah, it happens.
    Clearly you've never read a contract in your entire life. :rolleyes: