How does apple know which is which

SuperMiguel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
When i got my 4S on the box it said AT&T on it, now that i have my 5 it doesnt say the carrier on it... at least i didnt see it...

And been reading about people able to put their nano sim from verizon on a att i5 and it works.. So are all the early sold models unlock?

also dev.mk reports my imei to be unlock, not sure if it is a problem with their tool

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
When i got my 4S on the box it said AT&T on it, now that i have my 5 it doesnt say the carrier on it... at least i didnt see it...

And been reading about people able to put their nano sim from verizon on a att i5 and it works.. So are all the early sold models unlock?

also dev.mk reports my imei to be unlock, not sure if it is a problem with their tool
No, AT&T models are sim locked to AT&T. Are you really asking how apple knows which iPhone is which since they didn't put the carrier on the box?

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Your iPhone becomes locked to the carrier that you activate it with. If you activate it without a network it remains unlocked.

SuperMiguel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Your iPhone becomes locked to the carrier that you activate it with. If you activate it without a network it remains unlocked.
Well the sim card inside must match the carrier no? so ^ doesnt seem to be true

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
This isn't true. There are specific models for AT&T, CDMA, and unlocked iPhones. AT&T models are locked to AT&T.

SuperMiguel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
I am pretty sure they have a much more advanced inventory system than having some guy just looking at boxes to guess which phone is which.
i guess but if that is the case, they have to be dam well organized, 18 different types of phones