How does apple know which is which

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SuperMiguel, Sep 28, 2012.

1. SuperMiguel macrumors 6502

When i got my 4S on the box it said AT&T on it, now that i have my 5 it doesnt say the carrier on it... at least i didnt see it...

And been reading about people able to put their nano sim from verizon on a att i5 and it works.. So are all the early sold models unlock?

also dev.mk reports my imei to be unlock, not sure if it is a problem with their tool

2. steve dave macrumors 6502a

No, AT&T models are sim locked to AT&T. Are you really asking how apple knows which iPhone is which since they didn't put the carrier on the box?

3. SuperMiguel thread starter macrumors 6502

yup

4. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Your iPhone becomes locked to the carrier that you activate it with. If you activate it without a network it remains unlocked.

5. SuperMiguel thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the sim card inside must match the carrier no? so ^ doesnt seem to be true

6. steve dave macrumors 6502a

I am pretty sure they have a much more advanced inventory system than having some guy just looking at boxes to guess which phone is which.

7. steve dave macrumors 6502a

This isn't true. There are specific models for AT&T, CDMA, and unlocked iPhones. AT&T models are locked to AT&T.

8. SuperMiguel thread starter macrumors 6502

i guess but if that is the case, they have to be dam well organized, 18 different types of phones