How does ATT upgrade elligibility work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Nov 5, 2011.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

I have an iphone 4, since day 1. I am elliible for an upgrade. If I bought a 4S right now and sold it, would this be ok?
    If so, when would I be elligible for another upgrade?

2. wpotere Guest

2 years as you would have to sign a new contract.

3. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Why am I elligible now, only 16 months after buying the iPhone 4?
    To be honest I don't feel like waiting another 16 months to buy the iPhone 6 however.

4. wpotere Guest

Because sometimes AT&T lowers it down to get you roped into another contract and a new phone. As for the iPhone 6, we don't even have the 5 yet.

5. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Err yeah iphone 5 = iphone 4s.

If the upgrade elligibility was once a year that would be nice. But I'm thinking it might be more like 16 months and I would rather get the iPhone 6 straight away than weight extra months.

Edit: I take it back.. iphone 4s = iphone 4 lol.

6. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

it says on the websitee that it is 20 months but my question is if i buy the iPhone 4s now then get the 5 or 6 on launch dy ( by 5 or 6 i mean the next one ) would i be eligible for a extended contract but 200 dollars and not 450

----------

and by iPhone 6 u mean iPhone 5

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

AT&T used to have fixed upgrade dates. The standard as advertised is 2 years.

The policy has since changed to a dynamic system. Complex and calculated via several variables, a program reviews your usage, if you pay your bill on time, how much you spend per month on voice, data & messaging, how long youve been with them etc. The idea is to give their better customers an opportunity to buy more phones.

The great misunderstanding is most people think it only applies to iPhones, but that's not true. In fact AT&T make far less on an iPhone than any other smartphone the sell regardless of price point.

They have also convinced themselves this occurs at a certain time of the month or ahead of a new iPhone release. Not true.

Accounts are evaluated via their system continually year round. No human interaction is involved, it's fully automated. In addition each persons date may change from time to time based on random checks & variations in usage.

Because I have a large family with eight lines, two of which are mine, all with smartphones & unlimited data plans many years old, I get two upgrades per year. I use one for the latest iPhone & one for my Android of choice.

I also have an account with Verizon, since I'm lucky that both have great coverage in my area. Verizon is more restrictive and expensive. Yet I get great customer service from both.

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

Ouch, How much does that cost each month. I know this is a somewhat personal question so I understand if you don't answer it. It just seems that both my iPhone and my wife's iPhone is expensive.

9. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

The I'd wait to upgrade...

(easy answer)

10. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

No I didn't. I meant iPhone 6 since it'll be the 6th iPhone. But since 4S is such a minor upgrade to the 4 I guess 5 is valid too.

11. Mindy60 macrumors regular

4s is 4s, not 5. And it doesn't matter if it is the 6th or the 16th. It's what Apple decides to call it. :)