How does iplayer on ipad know I am outside uk when wi-fi is connected via vpn

Discussion in 'iPad' started by archmill, Mar 25, 2011.

1. archmill macrumors newbie

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help - just got a new ipad and my internet connection is connected to a vpn account, so my bbc iplayer works perfectly (I am in Australia) on my MacBook via wi-fi connection. However, when I connect my ipad to the same connection/wi-fi, the iplayer on ipad still knows that I am outside uk and hence I am unable to use this.

Does anyone know why this happens and how I can get this to work?

Thanks.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Try turning off location services for iPlayer.

3. mackiwilad macrumors member

There is nothing under Location Services for the iPlayer app.
    They must be detecting it some other way...

4. shawndoc macrumors newbie

Are you sure the iPlayer traffic is going out over the VPN?

5. mackiwilad, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

mackiwilad macrumors member

I'm not sure how to check. I do know that when I set up the L2TP VPN I selected "Send All Traffic" as instructed by the installation Wiki.
    A quick IP look up on iPad Safari reveals me to be somewhere near London, apparently.

I have a 3G iPad 2, but I have not installed a sim card in there at all, so it shouldn't be active. My thought is perhaps they have locked onto the GPS chip somehow....

6. nikmacr macrumors newbie

i had the same problem. you need to disable location services on the ipad, not the iplayer... go to ipad settings and turn off location services

7. tkadrum macrumors member

i don't think turning off location is the answer.

Wi-Fi is using IPN, each country has their own IPN. Therefore, if you are outside of the US, it wouldn't work.
    With desktop, I was able to use Hotspot Shield, and the other one is called HideIP(i think). I have yet encountered one for iPad.

8. mackiwilad macrumors member

Yeah, turning off LS did pretty much nothing.
    I did get a very very slow connection once by clearing the cache, history and cookies, restarting and using a VPN. To be honest, who can really be bothered doing that each time they want to watch a show?

The VPN is key too. The BBC seem to have blocked off the IP ranges of most of the common VPN providers in sunny England.. That one time i was able to get a connection was this tinny little server in a small city, resulting in a show that resembled a scratching session at the local nightclub.

9. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

I suspect OP's wifi isn't connected to the VPN. Currently only ethernet-connected devices are routed through VPN. If you want your wifi to be routed to VPN as well, you need a wireless router that has VPN-routing capability. Here is a list of them. Or you can jailbreak your iPad and download a VPN client.